Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage 800 wil not run without bilge switch being depressed(at times).

Replaced lr505 after diagnostics. It will run with pump switch depressed and can be shut down with normal start/stop. Tach will come on intermittently and unit will run normally for random times and then loses tach and shuts down. Then, it can immediately be restarted with the pump switch depressed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by MARLINHOSS View Post
    Replaced lr505 after diagnostics. It will run with pump switch depressed and can be shut down with normal start/stop. Tach will come on intermittently and unit will run normally for random times and then loses tach and shuts down. Then, it can immediately be restarted with the pump switch depressed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a grounding issue. You don't get a ground unless it's going through bilge.
    And it's intermittent , doesn't make sense , usually thats a tip it's grounding issue. DC is funny like that " think trailer lights!"
    I'm no pro but I have chased some bad grounds before.

Any ideas where to start? Have shaken just about every connection while it was running without switch depressed. Thanks.

The old mid 90s had an issue where the main ground was to the cradle instead of the motor. I would check the main ground to motor. I don't know your ski only 95 pol & 97 seadoo. Is the brain box still metal. If so you could use a pair of cables to it see how it is grounded. Ground to motor and ground box.You basicly make a medium size jumper w 12 stranded wire and a couple battery charger type clamps to test where some of the grounds land like inside the elect box. "CAREFULL" Hope someone has had the same issue so they can zero you in.

Full charge on the battery? If so try bypassing the MFD and see if that is the issue. Check here for instructions to bypass. http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Try google as well, this forum is great not as big as google's reach.

Battery is charged to 14.6 volts. Brain box (eccm?) is plastic. Have also googled, but most lead to a bad lr505.

Kinda meant the box main box it is in. Their will be a wire in there that is ground , it will always ground the box as well if it's ulum. You could test and or jump that ground. It sounds like your cdi is using your bildge as a ground.

OK, misunderstood. Did the jumper to the aluminum block in the main case. No change. Bypassed MFD on pins 1 and 3 and motor would crank and run ONLY if you depressed the bilge switch once. I did not have to hold the switch down; just tap and it would run as normal with the start/stop switch able to kill the motor. Help, this thing is driving me nuts!!!!

is this the way it was when you got it, or something that happened to it after you owned it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information