Help with motor and jet

Hello there,
    I'm brand new to both this forum and to the world PWC's. I want to put a 750 or bigger motor and jet into a self built 10' wood/glass boat. The plans are from Glen-L and the boat plan is a Squirt. It looks like loads of fun. I'm curious to know what the best motor and jet would be for this project. Some people, who have already done this, actually cut the hull of an existing boat/ski and graft it into the wooden boat. While others just take the motor and jet and build it into their hull. What motors and jets should I stay away from? Are there stronger years than others? What should I be looking at to spend for basically a motor and jet or a not working motor complete with hull? I guess you can tell I'm sort of floundering. Any feedback (positive I hope) would be greatly appreciated, even a potential donor motor and jet from somewhere in western Canada.
    Thanks Byron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956chevtruck View Post
    I want to put a 750 or bigger motor and jet into a self built 10' wood/glass boat.....what the best motor and jet would be for this project. Some people, who have already done this, actually cut the hull of an existing boat/ski and graft it into the wooden boat. While others just take the motor and jet and build it into their hull. What motors and jets should I stay away from? Are there stronger years than others?
    Byron,
    This sounds like a really fun project.

Unless you have precise engineering drawings and are extremely good at making molds and laying up glass, I would advise you get a donor hull and cut the pump tunnel out of it to mate up with your boat hull. To me there are just far too many factors related to pump cavitation and driveshaft alignment that make a self-made pump section extremely difficult.

Any hull from '94 to '99 would be an excellent donor. Don't worry if the pump bearings are bad because you can source these and the seals from local bearing supply houses for well under $50 and it's a pretty easy repair. The reason I suggest these year ranges is because they used the 148mm pump design which means there will be a wide range of pump parts and impellers available.

A 750 engine will probably do just fine in this boat. Stock these engines made 80HP. They are pretty robust as long as you use the updated 3-outlet fuel pump routing. A 780 would do well too, they make 92+HP. A 780 will give you more power on the top end while a 750 has more low end torque. The crank and cases are interchangeable between the two so it's really a matter of which top end you use and the associated carb jetting and needle settings.

KJ

Thread Information