Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 Seadoo SPX Starting Issues

New to the PWC world and I bought this ski hoping for a little project that has become a huge headache. First off, the engine was frozen from lack of the previous owner not winterizing it. The engine has been rebuilt and now it will not start. So,

1. I get two beeps when installing the lanyard
    2. Hit the start button and either the starter hits once and gives one loud beep or the starter hits multiple times but never enough long enough to give one full revolution at a time.
    3. Pull the plugs, same situation
    4. The starter soleniod has been replaced; I can also jump the solenoid and the engine rolls over easily; also jumping the yel/red wire to the soleniod will allow the engine to crank easily.
    5. Replaced ground wire and cleaned terminals
    6. No blown fuses and no fuses have blown
    7. Disconnected VTS just in case

So, with all that, I am very lost and about ready to hand it over to the dealership or pull out the parts gun. Open to any suggestions so I can repair this and get it sold and gone. Thanks

+1
    check/clean the starter,it might need a new bendix gear and check compression 1st.also check the fuel linesfilters and clean/rebuilt carbs

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    my comments <<inline>>

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker4211 View Post
    New to the PWC world and I bought this ski hoping for a little project that has become a huge headache. First off, the engine was frozen from lack of the previous owner not winterizing it. The engine has been rebuilt and now it will not start. So,

1. I get two beeps when installing the lanyard<<expected..the key was accepted and the ignition is active>>
    2. Hit the start button and either the starter hits once and gives one loud beep or the starter hits multiple times but never enough long enough to give one full revolution at a time.<<one beep is indicative of a problem. typically electrical,,the starter is drawing too much current casuing a system wide voltage drop and the solenoid is opening, you'll notice the console.guages resetting too if this is the case>>
    3. Pull the plugs, same situation
    4. The starter soleniod has been replaced; I can also jump the solenoid and the engine rolls over easily; also jumping the yel/red wire to the soleniod will allow the engine to crank easily.<<if the engine cranks easly and the tool you are using to jump the solenoid isn't melting you'll want to check the thinner black wire that may go from the electric box to the battery, it may be onlyt holding on by a strand or two..>>
    5. Replaced ground wire and cleaned terminals
    6. No blown fuses and no fuses have blown
    7. Disconnected VTS just in case

So, with all that, I am very lost and about ready to hand it over to the dealership or pull out the parts gun. Open to any suggestions so I can repair this and get it sold and gone. Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definately check out the electrical some more and pull the starter. Allmost had myself convinced that I had a bad MPEM (hopefully still not) and started to get side tracked.
    I will try all of this and let you guys know.

Ok, so for an update. I replaced the brushes in the starter, sanded down all the negative and positive lugs and their posts (minus the starter soleniod), and landed new negative leads to the forward and rear electrical boxes, ran a new negative ground to the starter, and with all this, no luck.
    I do agree it is electrical and as of now, I am trying a different battery that I know starts my polaris ski and making sure I have a full charge on it before I try.
    So, with all that, anyone have an area that I should recheck or that I haven't checked? Any back door tips or tricks to make this thing start would be awesome so that I can enjoy a little bit of the summer on this thing.

Still an expensive float toy for kids....

Ok, replaced with known good battery and still no crank . Anyone with a WAG, or SWAG, or whatever. The ole lady is ready to pay out for the dealership to try and fix it due to the amount of time I have put into this thing with no luck.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Ok, so for an update. I replaced the brushes in the starter, sanded down all the negative and positive lugs and their posts (minus the starter soleniod), and landed new negative leads to the forward and rear electrical boxes, ran a new negative ground to the starter, and with all this, no luck.
    I do agree it is electrical and as of now, I am trying a different battery that I know starts my polaris ski and making sure I have a full charge on it before I try.
    So, with all that, anyone have an area that I should recheck or that I haven't checked? Any back door tips or tricks to make this thing start would be awesome so that I can enjoy a little bit of the summer on this thing.
    so you cleaned up your starter instead of putting in a new one?..Id say that's a problem if you didn't ohm test every single coil in the starter.

if a dealer install a starter for you it's going to cost at minimum $350-450(or thereabouts, OEM starters are brutal expensive)

hail mary a new starter from ebay ..cost you far less then the first 90 seconds at the dealer) if it doesn't work out.....you still have a used starter to sell ( It's in great shape..only used once....)

starter or wires

Ok, so I got a new starter for this thing and put it in and still no go. Exact same problem . SOOOO, my only concern is that the output side of the MPEM to the starter relay (yel/red wire) is only producing 1.6 mA with the soleniod disconnected. That seems a little low to me. My question is, what is the normal current draw for the MPEM from the battery? Anyone know what the the current draw to the starter is supposed to be?
    My thought is the possiblilty of high resistance in the MPEM causing the output to be low. Sound plausable? Anything I should check or recheck?
    Thanks again for the help and I hope to have this thread closed soon .

Ok, so I got a new starter for this thing and put it in and still no go. Exact same problem . SOOOO, my only concern is that the output side of the MPEM to the starter relay (yel/red wire) is only producing 1.6 mA with the soleniod disconnected. That seems a little low to me. My question is, what is the normal current draw for the MPEM from the battery? Anyone know what the the current draw to the starter is supposed to be?
    My thought is the possiblilty of high resistance in the MPEM causing the output to be low. Sound plausable? Anything I should check or recheck?
    Thanks again for the help and I hope to have this thread closed soon .
    Whats it do when you jump battery power to the switch side of the solenoid? Crank? If mpem output is low to the solenoid you could always wire in a relay to work the solenoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information