Operating Voltage

What is the normal voltage your ski should be at when running it on the water. As I accelerate it will climb sometimes up to 15 volts, based on the MFD. It seems like that is kinda high. If it is high, where should I measure the voltage at just to insure the MFD is right. I'll have to go pick one up from the store.

It's a 2000 Pro 785 just under 70 hours

+1
    antonio, check the voltage across the battery and see what you actually have.

I'll have to go pick up a voltage meter and try that this weekend, I won't be able take it out. It's winter here, although we haven't had any snow, and it has been in the fifties lately, I'm contemplating bringing it out for a chilly ride. Warmer weather just seems so far away!

So test it while running, and assuming it reads around 12-13 while idling, the increase in voltage to 15 or so while accelerating would be normal?

that wont do anything unless its your start it up an have it run or idle for 5 mins and

plus you dont wanna have 2 winterize it again , i know this winter seemed kinda warm but its not even january yet

anyways radio shack or wallmart has the multi meter for under 20$

just keep it under your hat for next season ,

i think tha stator is just working a lil bit harder or you have a short for something that use 2 take tha extra power an no longer is ,

did you buy a trickle charger for tha battery last year an this year ?

what kinda of battery do you have stock or afta ?

i got a sealed performance battery for 50.00 better than filling an waiting an chargeing , ( i wanna ride now kinda attiude ) anyways hope this helps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    I'll have to go pick up a voltage meter and try that this weekend, I won't be able take it out. It's winter here, although we haven't had any snow, and it has been in the fifties lately, I'm contemplating bringing it out for a chilly ride. Warmer weather just seems so far away!

So test it while running, and assuming it reads around 12-13 while idling, the increase in voltage to 15 or so while accelerating would be normal?
    To check the charging system you need to have a volt meter with A/C and D/C capabilities.
    1) Start the engine and run to 3000 RPM check for 20+ volts to the yellow and red/purple wires from the alternator/stator.
    2) If good switch to DC volts and check the voltage across the battery at 3000 RPM you should have no more than 14.5 volts.
    3) Anything more than 14.5 volts tells you bad voltage regulator and/or bad ground to regulator.
    5) Lower than 14.5 usually indicates a bad alternator (see step 1) or voltage regulator. You may also have an excessive system load (shorted bilge, etc) but I doubt it.

I guess I'll wait, this is just killing me. No snow to bring out the sleds and too cold to hit the water. I need to move...

Anyway, I'll print the thread off and save it for next year. It is an aftermarket, don't remember the brand but it is sealed. Previous owner put it in. I pulled it out for the winter, no trickle charge though. Previous owner did say he put in a new stator. Battery hasn't ever went dead on me between rides, and always plenty of juice to start it, which can take a minute sometimes. So I don't think a short.

Thanks for the help, have a Merry Christmas!

Thread Information