can some one explain the gains if any of putting a 3 degree pump wedge on your jetski

just wondering been looking at some up grades for my 1995 polaris 750 sl came upon a thread talking about a wedge for your pump! what is the benifit of this wedge 2or3 degree ?also not sure if i am right about this but a stock slx plate would be better than the plate i have on my stock sl right now ? what would i gain with the slx plate over the stock sl plate thanks for your time jim

Banned User
    +1
    I thought the SLX plate by itself made it porpoise worse. I would add sponsons along with the SLX plate if you want to go that route. I would only use the wedge if you have the extended pump setup with the extended ride plate. The standard Polaris wedges are 4 degree.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I can't speak for BryanP's opinion, but the SLX plate would be just like adding an extended Ocean Pro "R" plate. It should help REDUCE porpoising and increase accel by planing faster VS. the stock plate.

A pump wedge will angle the pump outlet up, effectively raising the nose of the ski for more top speed. It however will also increase porpoising if the water conditions are rough.

Banned User
    +1
    I am going just on my personal experience on my SL 650. Adding the SLX plate alone with the short pump made it porpoise worse than stock. On my SL900, which has this same plate stock, with the large SLX sponsons, porpoises very little. For shits and giggles, I removed the sponsons on my SL 900 to see how it performed. It was god awful, bouncing and porpoising all over the place. The OP ocean plate on my SL 650 made it ride much much better, even with a long pump and 4 degree wedge. I have the OP R version here that I have yet to test out. Xlints experience with the SLX plate may be different than mine, I am just sharing what I found. Adding a wedge without changing the ride plate or and/or adding sponsons will most likely make it porpoise worse than it already does. Try it and let us know what it does.

+1
    I put a slx780 extended ride plate on my 94 sl650 with stock pump and it helped with top speed and porpoising. We ride in lake Erie where it can get brutal . I highly recommend the extended plate weather you have the extended pump or not. Just my .02cents

Banned User
    +1
    After riding one for the first time that had them, I am sold on adding sponsons as well to these SL hulls. You won't be disappointed either way you go

ok thanks for the reply's i think i will try the slx plate and the sponsons looks like neither one should be a hard install ! now can i use sponsons from a slx ? as i am pretty sure i am gonna get this stuff used! i figure if the plate will work the sponsons should work on my sl hull to. thanks again jim

Banned User
    +1
    SLX sponsons are bigger than the SLT ones. If you still want to spin out and stuff like that get the smaller SLT ones. I personally like the large SLX sponsons on my ski

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Since you guys are on the topic of sponsons. Do any of you have a prefered position for installing them. Or just even with the hulls bottom as indicated in the instructions. I started a nw post about stepping them as well if anyone has any input...

Thread Information