Polaris MSX 150 Low oil pressure

Hello,

Iīve got a Polaris MSX 150 -04 that Iīve recently rebuilt the engine with new nicasil plating and replaced both pistons too.

The main bearings and rod bearings as well seemed to be in good shape, but I didnīt do any measurements of the clearance.

Now to the problem.
    When I start it the red eye flashes and the oil can lights, I have measured the oil pressure on top of the oil tank banjo-bolt. I donīt know if it is the right place do take out oil pressure, but I couldnīt find any other place.

When I run it on land the rpm is ~1500 with an oil pressure of 1,5 bar. If I rev it up to about 3500 rpm the oil pressure is 3,5 bar. I donīt have the numbers in front of me right now but what I remember the oil pressure should be 1,5bar at idle (7-800rpm I think) and 8 bar at max rpm.

The oil is foaming unusually much in my opinion, so I fastened the loose baffle in the oil tank, but it didnīt solve the problem.

Anyone has some ideas what the problem could be?

Sorry for my bad english, but I hope you all understand!
    Thanks /Conny

+1
    You are measuring in the right place. There is enough oil pressure to satisfy your oil pressure switch if it is working and plugged in. I have seen a couple of these go bad and have resorted in mounting a replacement on top of the oil tank as you just about have to pull the motor out to get to it.
    Not sure about the foaming, I have never had a problem in this area, might not be to much to be worried about

+1
    if you want to have a oil pressure gauge take off, i believe the best place if via the small grub screw hole in the block just under the oilfilter cap.

as for foaming, if your oil is golden/light black (as it should be with new oil after rebuild) then all should be ok.

Thanks for the answers!

Kosh:

What kind of switch and how did you fastened it on top of the tank?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmizzer View Post
    Thanks for the answers!

Kosh:

What kind of switch and how did you fastened it on top of the tank?

This is the oil specification from the workshop manual - 21 @ IDLE -- 80 @ MAX PSI (1.5 -- 5.5 BAR)

The switch was a standard automotive one, nothing special. you do have to run an extra earth wire from the switch mount to the engine. The original wire is long enought to run to the new position. You can always put it back to original if you ever have to pull the motor.

I have lost my photos and dont have easy acces to these skis with mods. try a search of my posts it may reveal something.

You will need a longer banjo bolt, a weldable banjo fitting (hydraulic shop), a 1/8 bspt socket (if that is the size oil switch you buy). Silver solder them together along with a small machine screw(for the earth wire).

Clear as mud?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poo3 September 2010 007.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	249555  

Ok, now I understand. Hope this will work now.

Thanks Kosh!

Okay, that didnīt solved the problem. Now when I run it in the water with a gauge hooked up the oil pressure looks good for about 10-15 seconds after start up, then it drops to about 0,2 bar at idle and 1,5 bar at 6000rpm.

Anyone got some good ideas?

Iīm not far away from drilling a hole in the boat and drag it out to open water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmizzer View Post

Iīm not far away from drilling a hole in the boat and drag it out to open water.
    All the foam inside the hull will keep her afloat and spoil this plan.

On a serious note: Have you checked the hose coming out of the bottom of the tank that supplies oil to the oil pump. If this hose is pinched or twisted it would cut off the supply of oil to the pump and result in less pressure plus cavitation and oil foaming.

Thread Information