Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Morris, IL
    Posts
    145

    Question 99 xp limited wont go past 6000rpm lackin power need help!

    So we just picked up this 99 xp limited with the 951 engine. It has a pipe but other then that pretty much stock. Has a newer sbt engine in it with supposedly under 10 hrs on it andis pre mix. Most the time its lacking on power and won't make it past 6000rpms or around 45-50. A couple times it would shoot up to 75-7600 and run great then back down. Changed the plugs and looked everything over and cant figure out where to go next. Did a compression check and both cylinders have 130 psi. The ski is my brothers and we just got it. I have a 4 stroke ski and neither of us has owned a 2 stroke before so don't even know where to start. Oh and also the cooling system and pump cone fluid were just changed according to paperwork we got with the ski.


  2. #2
    saltydog
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    myrtle beach/georgeotwn/charleston
    Posts
    21
    if it has the stock/factory grey tempo fuel lines that is 100% ur problem.
    mine are bone stock and it causes nightmares actually just pulled my ski out to do it eventually... replace all fuel lines with the automotive black ones, clean the internal fuel filters and pull the fuel selector and clean that as well..

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Morris, IL
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by sc_shark View Post
    if it has the stock/factory grey tempo fuel lines that is 100% ur problem.
    mine are bone stock and it causes nightmares actually just pulled my ski out to do it eventually... replace all fuel lines with the automotive black ones, clean the internal fuel filters and pull the fuel selector and clean that as well..
    Cleaned the fuel selecter tonight and I think the fuel lines are clear. Can see the fue in them. It also has a primer kit instead of choke someone installed if that matters. The internal filters are in the carbs right? Thanks for the advice too!

  4. #4
    saltydog
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    myrtle beach/georgeotwn/charleston
    Posts
    21
    if the lines say temp and are grey it wont matter they will get gummed up within a week or so especially if it sits the little bit of ethonal eats up those lines badd.... and even if u just cleaned it u will be doing both again if those lines are still in.

    trust me i have battled this isssue for 5 months now on my xpl... when i clean the filters i didnt change lines if i rode it daily it ran fine if it sat 3 days it already started gumming up.... i just pulled it out of the water this weekend and will be doing a full fuel line overhaul..

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Morris, IL
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by sc_shark View Post
    if the lines say temp and are grey it wont matter they will get gummed up within a week or so especially if it sits the little bit of ethonal eats up those lines badd.... and even if u just cleaned it u will be doing both again if those lines are still in.

    trust me i have battled this isssue for 5 months now on my xpl... when i clean the filters i didnt change lines if i rode it daily it ran fine if it sat 3 days it already started gumming up.... i just pulled it out of the water this weekend and will be doing a full fuel line overhaul..
    Just checked, all fuel lines are clear not grey. Musta been replaced right?

  6. #6
    saltydog
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    myrtle beach/georgeotwn/charleston
    Posts
    21
    ideally yes... are they ethonal friendly tho is whats in question at this point.

    the problem you are suffering from is 99% of the time fuel line or fuel related...

    idk if having the carbs seting can effect the rev capability.. maybe its not opening the rav valves or pop offs and not allowing it beyond the 6k range.

    i had that problem the other week myself. its what propmpted me to pull the ski out of the water.. i could hold strong right at the 5,500 range once i got 5,800-6k it would hit a wall drop to 4k than rip back to the mid 5k than bog..

    ill watch the topic as well see if anyone else sheds some insight...

  7. #7
    GOO$E Mongoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    LKN, NC
    Posts
    442
    +1
    1
    what pipe is on it?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Morris, IL
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by sc_shark View Post
    ideally yes... are they ethonal friendly tho is whats in question at this point.

    the problem you are suffering from is 99% of the time fuel line or fuel related...

    idk if having the carbs seting can effect the rev capability.. maybe its not opening the rav valves or pop offs and not allowing it beyond the 6k range.

    i had that problem the other week myself. its what propmpted me to pull the ski out of the water.. i could hold strong right at the 5,500 range once i got 5,800-6k it would hit a wall drop to 4k than rip back to the mid 5k than bog..

    ill watch the topic as well see if anyone else sheds some insight...

    Ok after a closer look I believe the fuel lines are stock. He thought they were clear but when I looked at it those were the primer lines he was looking at, the fuel lines are grey. After cleaning the fuel selecter the other day there was a little bit of sand in there and it ran better for a wile yesterday. Got it above 7400 rpm and I clocked it at 60-61 on my rxp. After riding it for a while though the problem came back and it seems down on acceleration power too. Basically it won't go past 6200 most of the time then it will just take off to 7400rpm then usually fall back down after a min or so. Sounds like its trying and just not able to make the rpm its like there's something holding it back if that makes sense when it acts up. What should the top speed be and at what rpm? He is a 150lb rider if that matters.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Morris, IL
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2 View Post
    what pipe is on it?
    Coffman I think it says, its purple.

  10. #10
    GOO$E Mongoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    LKN, NC
    Posts
    442
    +1
    1
    clean the carbs and lines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 gp1200r will only go to 6000rpm then stop, need help!
    By kyle5647 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
  3. 99 xp limited no beep
    By icerat4 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 09:02 AM
  4. discontinued rpm guage for 99 xp limited
    By xtito25x in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
  5. '99 XP limited questions
    By Tony in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 06:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •