Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intake grate

+1

Intake grate

I had a "slight" mishap with my 2011 wake pro 215 this afternoon, was getting ready to tow a friend on his wakeboard and sucked up the tow rope I saw it starting to go under the ski and did the opposite of what I should have done... I hit the throttle to try to get away instead of pulling the key, and it sucked it up good and it wrapped around the driveshaft, breaking off the tow bracket, breaking a spline on the intake great, and smashing a hole in a piece of the pump.

So I have a couple of questions. Is this part damaged in the picture the pump support? I have looked in the online catalog and thats what it appears to be. Will this damage cause any problems or is it just cosmetic? How hard is it to change this piece out? Are there any special tools I will need? Do I need to pull the ride plate to do it?

I might as well upgrade to a performance grate if any are available for my ski, what would you recommend?

Thanks

+1
    The pump shoe needs to be replace IMO! A new intake grate as well. While you have the ride plate out, send it off to SFR and pick up 3-4 mph. I would also check you carbon seal as it probably took a beating as well. While you had it out I would replace it. You will need to take it out in order to get the pump shoe out. Good luck....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    The pump shoe needs to be replace IMO! A new intake grate as well. While you have the ride plate out, send it off to SFR and pick up 3-4 mph. I would also check you carbon seal as it probably took a beating as well. While you had it out I would replace it. You will need to take it out in order to get the pump shoe out. Good luck....
    +2 on the carbon seal had they same problem when mine sucked a rope up and caused it to almost flood the hull the next ride it however it looked completly fine.

+1
    Thanks for the info, is the pump shoe listed in the parts breakdown as the pump support? I don't see any part listed as pump shoe?

What intake grate will fit my ski? I know my ski is based off of the GTX 215 platform but will a RTX grate fit (I think the S3 hull is the same but not sure if the ride plate and grate are)? What mnf would you recommend?

We got the rope out and rode the ski for the rest of the day, had a slight "funny" feeling to the steering, probably from the broken intake grate... but no water was entering the hull (I was paranoid and checked several times). Do you still think I should replace the carbon seal? What special tools will I need to remove the pump and get to the carbon seal and pump shoe, I'm assuming at least the prop tool. I am pretty mechanically inclined but this is my first ski so I guess I get to take it apart and see how it works, lol...

+1
    Those pump shoes aren't the easiest to change.. There is instruction in the How-to thread on this to help you out. Yeah I 'm thinkin a rxt grate will fit.. same year as yours. I would'nt ride it till it was fixed

will a 08 rxt intake grate work i have one if you need it

+1
    Thanks for the offer, dont think it will fit... I ordered a stocker just to get it on the water again and will address the pump shoe over the winter if it holds up that long. I filled the small hole and squished corner with some silicone sealant, hopefully it will last until winter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmike1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, is the pump shoe listed in the parts breakdown as the pump support? I don't see any part listed as pump shoe?

What intake grate will fit my ski? I know my ski is based off of the GTX 215 platform but will a RTX grate fit (I think the S3 hull is the same but not sure if the ride plate and grate are)? What mnf would you recommend?

We got the rope out and rode the ski for the rest of the day, had a slight "funny" feeling to the steering, probably from the broken intake grate... but no water was entering the hull (I was paranoid and checked several times). Do you still think I should replace the carbon seal? What special tools will I need to remove the pump and get to the carbon seal and pump shoe, I'm assuming at least the prop tool. I am pretty mechanically inclined but this is my first ski so I guess I get to take it apart and see how it works, lol...
    Yes the pump shoe is listed as the pump support. Its a real PIA to change. Your gonna need an engine allignment tool to change. There is a good write up in the How To section started by Jerry a while back. Lots of good info there. On scale of dificulty from 1-10 I would give it a 7 or 8. Takes time and patience but anyone can do it if they plan on taking their time to get it right.

+1
    Yes the pump shoe is listed as the pump support. Its a real PIA to change. Your gonna need an engine allignment tool to change. There is a good write up in the How To section started by Jerry a while back. Lots of good info there. On scale of dificulty from 1-10 I would give it a 7 or 8. Takes time and patience but anyone can do it if they plan on taking their time to get it right.
    Ya, I saw the how-to on the pump shoe... doesn't look fun at all, lol! I saw pictures of come alongs, and even someone using a backhoe to pull theirs off . At first I was like cool, only $88 for the part...then I saw what it would take to swap it out. I'm gonna put some hours on it with just a new intake grate and see how it is holding up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmike1 View Post
    Ya, I saw the how-to on the pump shoe... doesn't look fun at all, lol! I saw pictures of come alongs, and even someone using a backhoe to pull theirs off . At first I was like cool, only $88 for the part...then I saw what it would take to swap it out. I'm gonna put some hours on it with just a new intake grate and see how it is holding up.
    It will soon tear all apart from the water flow! You'll be lucky if you dont mess up the impeller and wear ring......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information