Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Stock exhaust outlet failure

I noticed water coming in my hull while riding yesterday on the lake. It only came in with the ski off. When the ski was running (idle through WOT) no water was coming in. I took off my FF exhaust and the stock outlet to find that the stock exhaust outlet had a 2'' tear allowing water to enter the hull. The rest of the outlet was cracked and close to tearing as well. I'm not entirely sure what caused this... the rubber wasn't dried out, but it just seems too thin in the area that teared. Plus, the rubber is pretty low quality compared to something like the braided silicone couplers that come with the FF exhaust. Anyways, take a look at your outlet guys, it may be hard to see because the tear(s) are on the inside of the metal ring. I will be ordering the new outlet from my dealer tomorrow and hopefully will have it mid-week so I can ride this week/ weekend.

I checked the Yamaha parts finder and the exhaust outlet on the 2009 FZRs has been replaced by an updated part. No idea what (or if) there is an update, but it's worth noting. "F1B-U758D-03-00 replaces F1B-U758D-02-00"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	249646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(4).jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	249647 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	249648 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(3).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	249649

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I noticed water coming in my hull while riding yesterday on the lake. It only came in with the ski off. When the ski was running (idle through WOT) no water was coming in. I took off my FF exhaust and the stock outlet to find that the stock exhaust outlet had a 2'' tear allowing water to enter the hull. The rest of the outlet was cracked and close to tearing as well. I'm not entirely sure what caused this... the rubber wasn't dried out, but it just seems too thin in the area that teared. Plus, the rubber is pretty low quality compared to something like the braided silicone couplers that come with the FF exhaust. Anyways, take a look at your outlet guys, it may be hard to see because the tear(s) are on the inside of the metal ring. I will be ordering the new outlet from my dealer tomorrow and hopefully will have it mid-week so I can ride this week/ weekend.

I checked the Yamaha parts finder and the exhaust outlet on the 2009 FZRs has been replaced by an updated part. No idea what (or if) there is an update, but it's worth noting. "F1B-U758D-03-00 replaces F1B-U758D-02-00"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	249646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(4).jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	249647 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	249648 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(3).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	249649
    same thing happened to mine.

+1
    Jim, it happened to Allstar (I think his name is David) back when I first joined the forum in 2009.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Wonder if its from the weight of the free-flow pipe on that hose. Just isnt strong enough to support it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Wonder if its from the weight of the free-flow pipe on that hose. Just isnt strong enough to support it.
    Could be. The stock exhaust uses a support on top of the pump tunnel the ff doesn't use. I may fab some support up in time.

+1
    I just installed a Riva ff on a ski and the same exact thing happened. Took me a minute to fig out where the water came from

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ecpChris View Post
    I just installed a Riva ff on a ski and the same exact thing happened. Took me a minute to fig out where the water came from
    How many hours were on the outlet when it failed? Installing the ff tube puts a ton of stress on that area. My advice would be to install the outlet on the ff tube outside the ski where you can apply pressure evenly and then put the whole thing in.

Keep us posted on the bracket you fab. The stock bracket was that styro foam right ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oi812 View Post
    Keep us posted on the bracket you fab. The stock bracket was that styro foam right ?
    Stock exhaust rests on the foam block on top of the pump tunnel. I'm not going to bother with a bracket.

+1
    double post

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information