Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    97 Kawasaki STX 1100

How do you step your sponsons?

HI guys. Ive read several threads about mods for your stock sponsons and angles to gain different driving positions. Ive herd a few threads say you should step your sponsons in some cases. But I have not herd anyone tell you how to step them or show pictures.... I have a 1995 polaris sl 750 that I generally use for jumping waves and spin outs... But found it difficult to run along side boats without getting banged up because the ski just wouldnt stay in the water long enough. My ski does have the extended ride plate but that just wasnt enough, So I added sponsons and wow what a difference. The ski turns hard and stays in the water. I took it out last weekend and ran along side a few boats jumping there waves with ease. But honestly Im alittle disappointed with my spins now and I believe the ski rides a bit too good. Id like to get a bit of my bounce back and allow the ski to turn faster..... I read where guys were cutting a section off the rear of the sponsons and just putting a bolt back in the hole... I thought of cutting that rear section like a step taking maybe a 1" off at the rear... But before I started cutting or doing anything I wanted to ask for some advice including what is stepping your sponsons.... Also I aligned my sponsons as indicated with the instructions even with the bottom of the hull but have seen other people running a slight angle on theres. Is there benifits one way versus the other... I have stock polaris sponsons I picked up used. My ski did not come with sponsons... 95 sl750 Thanks in advance guys for your input....

Banned User
    +1
    Just go faster before you try to spin. I thought it was impossible to do on my SL 900 but my brother managed to do it.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Just go faster before you try to spin. I thought it was impossible to do on my SL 900 but my brother managed to do it.
    Oh, im able to do it. Its just kinda like being in slow motion. Its just not as fun as it use to be... Not to mention the sponsons grab so damn hard it really grabs you. Which in a sence can be a bit exciting when your trying to hold on so you dont get thrown. But honestly theres got to be a happy medium... Still I want to here about what stepped is? Im gonna attach some pics to show everyone what my setup is now...

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Pictures show my installed sponsons and ride plate. These pictures were taken today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_2006.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	249657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_2003.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	249658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_2008.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	249659  

Banned User
    +1
    Try the smaller sponsons from an SLT. Those look like the larger ones they put on the SL hulls.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Try the smaller sponsons from an SLT. Those look like the larger ones they put on the SL hulls.
    Does this mean Ill have to drill new holes in my hull?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mogyver69 View Post
    Does this mean Ill have to drill new holes in my hull?
    No the spacing is the same. I think they have one less bolt since they are shorter though.

+1
    I remember reading about this years ago, there were 2 ways of doing it. One was to, as you mentioned, lop off the last inch or two of your sponson, and plug the hole from the last bolt.

The other way, which I thought was very clever, was to "slot" the bolt holes downward some, on the sponson itself. Easy to do with a burr in a die grinder, but you could probably do a decent job with a drill bit and drill, if you are careful.

This way, you can try raising the sponsons some, and if you don't like it, you can just slide them back down to the original position....

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    The guy I bought them from tells me there off a 96 sl780. I bought these because the skies share the same hull... So I figure these are the ones I should be using.....

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    No the spacing is the same. I think they have one less bolt since they are shorter though.
    So then I would mount them to the rear bolts. I assume. If this is the case then it would probly be just as easy to cut off the rear section..... and save some money buying another set...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information