Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Valve Adjustment?

Have an '07 Ultra 250X with 125 hours. I got one of those pre-paid maintenance deals which covers all service that is stated in the manual (don't think they follow too closely though).

So, I know the valves have to be adjusted at 100 hours I'm bringing it in this week. What have people experienced with the valve adjustment? Have then been out of spec? How many hours have you all put on before adjustment?

Also I saw the "coupler", whatever that is, is to be inspected/replaced. What is the story with that part and has anybody replaced this?

Anything else I should specifically have them do?

And I thought about asking them to do the "pump bearing 2010 update". Any suggestions on how to go about this? I do have the GTPP 48 month extended warranty.

Thanks!

+1
    if you have pre paid it make them do it all, and yes get the pump done for piece of mind

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    Have an '07 Ultra 250X with 125 hours. I got one of those pre-paid maintenance deals which covers all service that is stated in the manual (don't think they follow too closely though).

So, I know the valves have to be adjusted at 100 hours I'm bringing it in this week. What have people experienced with the valve adjustment? Have then been out of spec? How many hours have you all put on before adjustment?

Also I saw the "coupler", whatever that is, is to be inspected/replaced. What is the story with that part and has anybody replaced this?

Anything else I should specifically have them do?

And I thought about asking them to do the "pump bearing 2010 update". Any suggestions on how to go about this? I do have the GTPP 48 month extended warranty.

Thanks!
    2011 pump shaft upgrade their buddy

+1
    Thanks for the replies.

But what about the coupler and what have the valves specs been?

+1
    if you have pre paid fo rthe maintenance why question its replacement just get it replaced as per the manual, yes in time it will need to be looked at. valves will differ on every motor so who knows where yours are, once again you've paid for it so get them checked...

If it were me I'd measure the valve clearance before and after taking it to any dealer. You just can't trust them these days.

rt

+1
    To answer your question, probably 70% don't require shimming. 30% may need a couple of valves shimmed. I have only ever seen one that needed the lot adjusted. sc 15f ex riva racing factory boat. (1st 4str kawi I ever worked on. talk about jumping into the deep end! Also first jetski I ever shat myself on going full snot in a straight line on flat water)

The coupler is a visual inspection. They will do it when they are checking the belt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eel View Post
    To answer your question, probably 70% don't require shimming. 30% may need a couple of valves shimmed. I have only ever seen one that needed the lot adjusted. sc 15f ex riva racing factory boat. (1st 4str kawi I ever worked on. talk about jumping into the deep end! Also first jetski I ever shat myself on going full snot in a straight line on flat water)

The coupler is a visual inspection. They will do it when they are checking the belt.
    Thanks for the info and answering the question as asked Eel

I wonder how they will handle "inspection" as anything that gets replaced such as the coupler or belt would just cost them more money. I'm quite happy with them however and they seem pretty good. A good size dealership as well.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    Thanks for the info and answering the question as asked Eel

I wonder how they will handle "inspection" as anything that gets replaced such as the coupler or belt would just cost them more money. I'm quite happy with them however and they seem pretty good. A good size dealership as well.
    the problem with MOST mechanics is they consider a quiet valve as a correctly adjust one

well the TRUTH is a quiet valve clearance does more potential damage that a loose clearance that you can hear with your ear

the ONLY true and correct way is to actually check each clearance and have them provide you with a report that you can attach to your service records,

if they arent willing to provide these details , Then I would say they didnt check the correctly or if at all.

Waz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    the problem with MOST mechanics is they consider a quiet valve as a correctly adjust one

well the TRUTH is a quiet valve clearance does more potential damage that a loose clearance that you can hear with your ear

the ONLY true and correct way is to actually check each clearance and have them provide you with a report that you can attach to your service records,

if they arent willing to provide these details , Then I would say they didnt check the correctly or if at all.

Waz
    You can follow me around videoing when I do a service so my customers don't think Im shafting them.

I agree about tight valve clearances though. Have you noticed how much noisier the 300's are compared to the 250?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information