+1

Pump Shoe Inserts Pulled Out

I was out on the ski yesterday and I have found out both the rear metal inserts have pulled out of the plastic pump shoe where you bolt the back of the intake grate to it, also damaged the Riva intake grate ;(

Question is can this be fixed or is it as I think I will need to fit a new pump shoe? Has anybody ever managed to secure the insets back in with any success?

If the pump shoe has to be changed how long a job is it to do this and what parts am I going to need other than a new shoe, sealer and a new intake grate.

+1
    Yes it can be fixed IF the pump shoe isnt damaged...IF you still have the inserts,and the pump shoe isnt damaged then what some guys have done is used a strong epoxy and re-insert them....Another option,which i recommend seeing the inserts have been pulled, would be to go with the R&D intake grate girdle...It will help in adding strength and help keep the intake grate from pulling out..Also what alot of us have done is switched to a 08 and newer rideplates,the newer rideplate doesnt utilize the the pump shoe to hold the intake grate in like the pre 08s do....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Yes it can be fixed IF the pump shoe isnt damaged...IF you still have the inserts,and the pump shoe isnt damaged then what some guys have done is used a strong epoxy and re-insert them....Another option,which i recommend seeing the inserts have been pulled, would be to go with the R&D intake grate girdle...It will help in adding strength and help keep the intake grate from pulling out....
    this is what i have done to mine but only one of the inserts stripped out on me while putting the grate off one time... been working great so far, the key is that r&D girdle kit i think

+1
    Is this the R&D intake girdle you are talking about? do you have to run the R&D grate with this or can you still use the Riva grate. i am going to have to buy another grate as it have broken the rear centre mounting hole out of the grate. I only ride lakes so water is normally smooth or may sometime have a small chop of around 12" waves made from other skis etc.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=644

I have a Riva ride plate as I am running open loop, I am going to get under the ski later today and look at the damage, I still have the two inserts so with some luck I may be able to re-fit them. As anybody ever tried to drill in to the shoe and fit countersunk screws it facing downwards or is there not enough plastic material in the shoe to do this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oz_speed View Post
    Is this the R&D intake girdle you are talking about? do you have to run the R&D grate with this or can you still use the Riva grate. i am going to have to buy another grate as it have broken the rear centre mounting hole out of the grate. I only ride lakes so water is normally smooth or may sometime have a small chop of around 12" waves made from other skis etc.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=644

I have a Riva ride plate as I am running open loop, I am going to get under the ski later today and look at the damage, I still have the two inserts so with some luck I may be able to re-fit them. As anybody ever tried to drill in to the shoe and fit countersunk screws it facing downwards or is there not enough plastic material in the shoe to do this?

yes thats the R&D intake girdle .

The shoe is too thin in that area to drill, and countersink anything. I had to epoxy both my inserts in with JB weld awhile back , and they held for a long time @ 80+. Either weld a washer in the center bolt hole, to fix the damage, or just buy a new Riva grate, with the girdle.

+1
    Looks like a night in the shop on my back.

Thanks for all the advice and info,

I have just ordered a R&D Intake Girdle and I am going to try an R&D intake grate as I have never tried one before, but I will have the Riva unit repaired also to put back on if I don't like the R&D grate.

+1
    Also have drilled and Tapped the center hole on the ride plate for a bigger bolt.

+1
    i run the R&D girdle kit along with the better riva grate.. all you have to do is drill two holes and it works fine then countersink the phillips head screws, easy peasy what i did was have the grate and girdle in hand and line them up and transfer the holes.... you can install the grate and measure the distance from the center grate hole to the others and then outward

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    Also have drilled and Tapped the center hole on the ride plate for a bigger bolt.
    Yes you can do this also...This is what a few of us have done in the Chicagoland area...BUT if you do this your still gonna need the inserts on the outside functionable...

Thread Information