Thread: Too Noisy??

Too Noisy??

Ever since I purchased this 2001 Virage 700 the motor seems kinda loud to me. I runs fine but the noise has always bothered me and I cant seem to find anything lose. Here's a video, let me know if this is normal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamoz View Post
    Ever since I purchased this 2001 Virage 700 the motor seems kinda loud to me. I runs fine but the noise has always bothered me and I cant seem to find anything lose. Here's a video, let me know if this is normal.
    Yes you have an issue I would say for sure, possible bearing, hard to tell where it is coming from from video. You have any idea which direction the noise is coming from. One thing that resulted in a similar sound in an MSX 140 I have, was the stainless sleeve around the impeller, had some corosion between it and the aluminum housing, and it bubbled inward, banging on my impeller. Sounded very similar, sound seemed to come from PTO end of motor, I had the jetdrive off as I took the ski apart to inspect and clean it, I started the motor without jet drive or drive shaft engaged on motor, and all was quiet. So I checked the pump and found the issue. See if you can define a little closer where sound comes from before taking apart. My reaction to video was that sound was coming from Mag end of motor, again hard to tell, maybe just where the cam was pointed.

Banned User
    +1
    That sounds pretty normal to me. It does not idle as smooth as my 3 cylinder engines. After hearing it again I do hear kind of a rattle. I know my 700 doesnt sound too good at idle, but at speed its fine. Make sure everything is tight before you go digging into the engine. By pulling the heads and spinning it over by hand you should be able to tell if there is any slop in one of the rods.

+1
    Yes that does seem like somthing going on in side there. It sounds like one of those river boats in china. Piston slap or the crank is going out. Did you check the compression on the motor? Or maybe It just me.

Have you checked to make sure both cylinders are firing? Unplug each one and see if it runs.

listening again it sounds like it is running on both it revs good. Sounds like a rod bearing went out.

I'll check the impeller as mentioned. I did check the compression before and it's at 120 on both cylinders. Runs well and it's fast on the water, but my 96 780 does not rattle like this one does.

Banned User
    +1
    My 2 cylinder 700 rattles and shakes a lot more than any of the 3 cylinder skis I have had. Only at idle speed though. I love that little 700. Tons of power from such a small motor. And its faster than my friends 96 SLT 780. Not out of the hole but definitely on top end

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    My 2 cylinder 700 rattles and shakes a lot more than any of the 3 cylinder skis I have had. Only at idle speed though. I love that little 700. Tons of power from such a small motor. And its faster than my friends 96 SLT 780. Not out of the hole but definitely on top end
    Hmmm, my 700 is not faster than my 96 Slt 780. I've raced them a few times. The 96 is a beast..

Thread Information