Need some carb help please

So i just overhauled my carbs but I had a few quick questions before reassembling the unit.

When I was cleaning them, I accidentally wound up splitting them up. They have an like a throttle joining screw set for the choke and throttle rods... When I reassembled I unscrewed these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Throttle Join er SCrews.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	249869

Not realizing that these screws were probably factory set, I evened them all out, but was wondering where the butterflies were supposed to sit. Currently it's a bit hard to see, but I have all three butterfly plates "just" under the hole pictured here for each cylinder... in other words they all match.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butterfly PLate.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	249870

I had to do the same thing (matched all three plates up) for the choke plates too, but I figure these merely have to close all the way... right?

Oh yeah... it's a '95 SL650

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    You're going to have to re-sync the carbs.

Turn the idle stop screw in until you're JUST able to slip a small drill bit (back side, not the business end) between the throttle plate and carb body.

Turn the adjuster screws in or out accordingly to get the other 2 carbs to the exact same opening height. (just able to slip the drill bit between those throttle plates as well)

Unscrew the throttle stop and make sure all 3 plates are closed. Then turn the throttle drum and make sure all 3 plates open exactly the same amount.

Once this is done, you're all set. just make sure to reset your in water idle speed before you go out riding. (1250-1300 RPM)

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    make sure you use a drill bit that doesn't not have any damage on the shank. You dont want to nick anything in the carb throat and it will sync them more accurately. I think I used a 1/16" drill bit

Thread Information