Can a stator go partly bad?

2004 Seadoo GTX 4TEC Wake edition
    About a month ago I got the 12v low message and after getting it home and checking with a multimeter found out that sure enough it wasn't charging. I've got 2 of the same year and model which is awesome when it comes to troubleshooting. I compared measurements and swapped the rectifiers and problem remained on the same ski.

So, not wanting to take on a rectifier swap I took it to Richardson motorsports and $1000 later had a replaced stator. Now, almost exactly 1 month later I'm getting the P0562 error code (Battery voltage too low). Got home and checked the voltage off and running and find that it's not charging again. I found some steps on the board here for testing a stator. That is: check the impedance and voltage on the stator while it is off and running respectively. Impedence off should be between 1 and .1 and running the AC voltage should be ~21 volts across each pair of pins.

I forget what the impedance reading was but it wasn't within range. I think they were open. When it was running I was measuring ~3.25v across each pair of pins. Just for comparisons sake I tested the other ski. I was getting .4 ohms off and 21 volts while running. So... can a stator go partly bad? After reading some of the other posts I'm thinking either it was installed incorrectly or I'm afraid the engine bearings are going out. I read on here that can cause enough play to destroy a stator.

I'm taking it back to the same place tomorrow and was hoping to have some good questions to ask when I get there.

Thanks in advance.
    -Brad

+1
    Brad yes there are three legs to the stator and it is possible to loose one leg. Check the three yellows to ground they all should be open and not grounded.

Hi beerdart, I just went and checked each of the yellow pins from the stator to ground and they were all open. Thanks for that suggestion.
    -Brad

Ok I'm a moron, I checked everything except my fuses. I hadn't done anything with my electrical system and didn't think to check the fuses. On the other hand, I don't know how a blown fuse would impact the readings on the stator when it's unplugged. Whatever... as long as I can go out this weekend. : )
    -Brad

+1
    common for that to happen .sometimes they just need cleaning

Thread Information