Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

intermediate housing lube

is there a trick getting the grease gun nozzle on the zerk fitting on my vx for the lubrication of the intermediate housing? it seems very cramped for room. Big grease gun or a small hand pump. I understand not to over pump or force more pumps in. It just seems there is no room. any tips.

+1
    Use a flexible hose on the grease gun. It's very hard to tell when it's full, but don't over grease it or you will blow out the seal and water/grease will push into the hull when riding. Found that out the hard way so I don't grease mine anymore. I know a few guys who never grease them and don't seem to have any problems. But that is just me and most guys will tell you I'm incorrect.

+1
    Greasing the intermediate housing is one of those things that really isn't clear on how to do. You almost have to weigh the grease to do it accurately. I'm due up to lube mine in 8 hours so I'll probably just do about 5 pumps of grease from a standard size gun. Thoughts?

yea. A friend did his and at 2.5 pumps he felt resistance. I guess its about feeling the gun and be gentle.

+1
    Tip: Do it after a ride so the grease in the tube will be warm & easier to push into the housing. Also, run the motor while pumping it in. The spinning shaft will help distribute it evenly & lessen the risk of it pushing the seal out of its groove near the grease port.

BTW, I didn't think VX's had a grease fitting on the inter housing. I looked for it on my friend's '07 VX cruiser & it didn't have one.

+1
    I would also add that you want to squeeze the gun very slowly. The grease is pretty thick and if you try to rush it, it can even pop off the hose. I usually pinch two fingers on the rubber line to feel how hard it is getting while I pump the gun. You can feel it as it starts to get really firm and stop at that point.

my 2011 has a greaseable intermediate housing. I think earlier models didnt have them. It took me 30 minutes to find it. i just removed the four bolts holding the pannel with the electronics on it out and moved the board a couple inches and I can get it with no problem. I need to be able to see it or I will be trippin out thinking im not greasing it properly. Off to the store to get some green grease.

+1
    This is what happens if you pop the seal out by pumping in too much...grease leaks out & lets water get to the bearing & start corrosion. First pic shows what I did with the filler tube on the replacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9273.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	249931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9270.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	249932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9269.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	249933  

+1
    [QUOTE=jaybro;1777207]my 2011 has a greaseable intermediate housing. I think earlier models didnt have them.QUOTE]
    Gotcha

+1
    When this happened, did you see grease oozing out in the hull? is it safe to say seal is OK if one can't see any grease around that area? I just did my FX HO Cruiser. I did it very slow and I could hear air fessing out as I am pumping. When that sound stopped and line felt hard I stopped as well! It took about 15-16 pumps before this happened! It has 92 hours and I am willing to bet dealer never did this at 10 hour mark..

Thanks for the info man!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    This is what happens if you pop the seal out by pumping in too much...grease leaks out & lets water get to the bearing & start corrosion. First pic shows what I did with the filler tube on the replacement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information