Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'97 SL 1050, Ignition Update Install Questions

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, thanks for all the great info. This is the best source for Polaris info I have found.

I just picked up a dead '97 SL 1050 with no spark. Based on my troubleshooting it needs the ignition update kit. I have done 2 kits in the past on my 2 other "96 SL 700's, so I have a good idea what is involved with this, but I have run into clearance issues with the bigger engine with the extra cylinder on the front of the SL 1050.

I thought I could get some access by removing the gas tank, but I have only been able to move it forward about 8 inches and can't remove it. I think it must come out the back, but of course the engine is now in the way...

So I have considered a few other ideas. I have removed the impeller/drive shaft assembly to freshen up the bearings and clean up the blades. This might make it possible to un-mount the engine and slide it back to get better access to the front stator, will this work? I have also considered removing the carbs to get get better access.

To those who have done the ignition kit upgrade, how did you do it?

I want to get this running before the end of summer....

Thanks,
    Tim in Mass

+1
    Remove the hood. The front end of the gas tank will come out, and turn it upward. The bottom of the tank will not come out, but it will give you a little room to work with. Its a pain to change. Air tools will make it alot easier to work with.

+1
    Yes the tank will come out on the 97 hull,with the tank empty, when it's slid forward,remove the sending unit,twist it side ways and out.

But, yeah , sliding the engine back should give you some room,move everything out of the way.

Either way it's a pain-easiest way is to get exhaust gaskets and pull the engine out.

OK, so I have made some progress on the ignition update. I was able to remove the fuel tank, but it was necessary to remove the oil tank first. After the tank sender and was removed it was easy to pull it out.

I have removed the old stator and I am waiting for the new kit to arrive, maybe this week... There was plenty of room for me to get at the front with the gas tank out. I should have used this access point my two previous ignition updates on the 2 cylinder SL700's, live and lean.

I have also removed the carbs for a cleaning. I was surprised to find the cam for the accelerator pump was all worn out, nearly flat with little radius left. For some unkown reason the previous owner decided it was a good idea to cut off the metal shaft to the pump diaphragm. I have seen a lot of goofy stuff in my days, but this was a first. I happened to have a spare junk carb off an old SL700, and was able to swap over the accelerator parts. This must have bogged really bad on rapid throttle/acceleration.

I also just put new bearing and seals in the jet drive. I spruced it up with some semi-gloss rattle can restoration. The old seals were starting to leak and the bearings had a little rumble when I spun the impeller. I think the end was not far away. I had another ski that had it's impeller lock up when I was on the lake a few years ago. At the time I thought the engine was locked up, but $50 later I had it running like a top.

Thanks for the help guys.

+1
    The '97 SL1050 was the only 1050 that DID NOT have accel pump from the factory.

What jets are in your carbs? That might explain why they eliminated the accel pump.

I think the 700's had a larger cam,more squirt to accel pump.
    You didn't use the 700's jet block-acel pump housing did you ?

The three carbs look like they were never apart, and have the accel squirters on the carb tops. The diaphram housing was on the on the carb block and looked to be exactly the same as my 700's carb. These carbs do not have a high speed jet adjustment. My 700's carbs do have the high speed adjustment

I have not looked at the jet size, but I will post when I tear into them. It is possible that somebody put a different set of carbs on this engine...? What engine may these carbs have come from?

UPS brought me my ignition update today, not sure if I will get it in this weekend, due to the upcoming rain, at least I can work on the carbs.

+1
    Yes, if they have an accel pump ,they are not original for '97.
    Is there a part # sticker on the connecting rail ?
    Jet size will also tell what they are from.

The jet block from the 96 700 is very differnet,It's very possible it will work just fine,but you need to verify it works propely

OK, so I took a look at the main jet, it's a #140. I don't see a part number on the rails. Caseny67, what motor did this originally come from?

Thanks,
    Tim in Mass

OK, so i checked my old SL 700 carb, and the main jet is a #80.

The main jet in the parts manaul for the SL 1050 lists two #152, and one #158. I have #140's in the carbs that came with the boat... To me this seems like I might run lean on full throttle, is this correct?

So it would seem that these carbs were no original to this engine. It also seems that 2 of the cylinders get #152 jets and the other gets the #158. Does anyone know where the #158 goes?

Tim in Mass

+1
    Yeh,the 700's were real crazy-don't compare them at all.

The original SL carb was a 2 jet model. Accel pump carbs are 3 jet set-up.
    All your high jets are 140's (all 3 carbs) ? 140 should be fine,possibly a hair lean.
    What are your low and mid jets ? Don't mix them up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information