jet pump bolts brken out of the fiberglass

I removed the jet pump from my 1996 slx780. The two bottom bolts the fiberglass was broken and the bolts came out with the fiberglass. How do I repair this?
    Does someone make an aftermark plate?

Quote Originally Posted by polarisman View Post
    I removed the jet pump from my 1996 slx780. The two bottom bolts the fiberglass was broken and the bolts came out with the fiberglass. How do I repair this?
    Does someone make an aftermark plate?
    So your telling us, that there is to bolt-sized holes in the bottom of the ski? Fiberglass repair kits will fix those holes. Just patch on the outside AND inside.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    So your telling us, that there is to bolt-sized holes in the bottom of the ski? Fiberglass repair kits will fix those holes. Just patch on the outside AND inside.
    Not quite. You cannot use polyester resin on this hull (regular automotive stuff in large cans of resin with MEK hardening agent). The '96 SLX780 hull was built with SMC construction and requires epoxy resin to be used for any repairs. Here is a good source for epoxy resin: http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

The only hulls that can be patched with polyester resin are the 1994 SLT750, 1995 SLT750, and the 1996 SLT700. All other hulls are made of SMC and must be patched with epoxy resin....that is if you want to do it right and make sure the repair is permanent.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisman View Post
    I removed the jet pump from my 1996 slx780. The two bottom bolts the fiberglass was broken and the bolts came out with the fiberglass.
    This is definitely a case of the proverbial "a picture is worth 1000 words". Please post pics if you can so we can get a better idea of what has happened.

KJ

Banned User
    +1
    Polyester will definitely fail. I know from experience. We repaired my friends SLT 780 with polyester and the patch peeled right off after only a few weeks. wasnt good. Redid it with epoxy and its still good 3 years later.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Polyester will definitely fail. I know from experience. We repaired my friends SLT 780 with polyester and the patch peeled right off after only a few weeks. wasnt good. Redid it with epoxy and its still good 3 years later.
    IMO, polyester resin is not good for much, always use epoxy unless your specific application requires one or the other. Epoxy with the correct application techniques is far superior in terms of strength, and longevity vs. Poly. IMO Epoxy is much easier to work with to get a good bond, and also to finish. Plus it does not stink like the polyester!!!

Banned User
    +1
    I much prefer the smell of polyester to epoxy

Let me know how you did your repair. I have the same problem.

Thread Information