Thread: Lost MPH

Lost MPH

Wife and I have 2010 VX Cruiser and Deluxe. We were out on the river on sunday and were just idling along all of a sudden she sucked up some rocks. She killed it pretty quick upon hearing the noise. She tested it out and was able to accelerate, but thought it just didnt sound right. I gave it a ride and found that instead of the 54/55 mph I could normally get at WOT, I could only hit 49/50 mph. I got the waverunner out of the water and looked at the impeller from underneath and from the back. The impeller is not bent and really looked about the same as the impeller on my Deluxe. I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow to find out what is going on. I was just wondering what you experts think it may be.
    Thanks for your help/input and time.

+1
    You absolutely tweaked the prop, even though it may visually look ok. The wear ring could also be damaged. IMO pull the pump and inspect the wear ring and prop. Replace the wear ring and/or prop as necessary.

+1
    +1 on wear ring/prop damage, this is very common!
    Best advice is to always watch your depth and keep your ski out of the skinny water.

Keeping an eye on depth is sometimes easier said than done! lol Especially when its a river carrying alot sediment so the water isnt exactly crystal clear. That being said, how many people install depth gauges on their rides just for this very reason?
    Thanks for the replies! I really do appreciate them.

+1
    I know STItaxi put a hawkeye depth finder on his ski. It's in his build thread in the projects section.

+1
    I thought about it last weekend, when we were riding on the mississippi, and all of a sudden the water was just over 2ft deep... Jumped off to cool down, and it was only knee deep!

Talked to the service guy today. He told me the impellar and wear ring both looked good. He said sometimes a sylicone seal can get chewed up by debris and allow cavitation. That is what he is going to check for next. He did tell me that if the impellar were bad, it could be sent to a shop in florida and repaired for about $75 and would take about a week, or a new impellar would run about $300. I told him I would go the repair route. Are the repaired impellars just as good as a new one?
    Thanks for the help!

+1
    Not sure what shop your tech sends the prop to but I know Impros in California does repairs and they come out better than new because they get balanced and properly pitched.

Thanks Mike! Thats reassuring to hear that!!

The verdict is in from the repair shop. Slight damage to the sylicone seal and one corner of the impellar has a slight bend on it. Refurbished impellar has been ordered and should arrive no later than early next week. Will definately have my vx's back for amatuer hour (aka labor day weekend).

Thread Information