Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

185 with a X SC what do you think?

ok guys i am helping a friend with a stock 185 GTX SC
    i have read that a RXT with stock air intake and stock IC can run a X SC
    and not have to touch the injectors or FPR.

so if a 185 has stock air intake and NO IC
    it can definitely run a X SC with fuel to spare

we will upgrade to a RXT FPR, the 185 has the same 38lb injectors as a RXT, so no issue there. we will also do a gear swap on the SC so it will mesh with the stock flywheel gears of the 185. keep in mind we will only be turning a stock 7600 rpm with this ski
    we want to put a 4" kanaflex intake on the ski.
    so do you think this will be ok

4" air intake
    NO IC
    X SC
    38 lb injectors
    58 FPR
    7600 rpm

we have a 12/20 currently turning 7200 rpm in las vegas heat...

+1
    and yes i know theres soooooooo much more we could do to get this ski going faster but we are trying to keep mods to a bare minimum cuz its just cheeper to buy a RXT if we get too crazy with mods.
    we might be able to pull this off for 500 or less, if we can find a used X SC that doesnt need a rebuild immediately. thas all we wanna spend to get a 185 movin to 65ish

+1
    why not pickup a 215 intercooler, flywheel, charger and ecu? should be able to get the lot pretty cheap second hand with more gain than an X on the wrong flywheel

+1
    trying to avoid excessive engine work. swapping the flywheel is not that easy, and just not worth it on a 185.
    the ski is due for a Sc rebuild soon anyway, and needs a little more boost, so its cheeper to get a X SC than a rebuild kit (300) and a a new fanblade(450) its an all or nothing type propositon.
    if you do ecu than you need to do flywheel, and external IC and then it needs a full rxt driveline upgrade different impeller, injectors rrfpr and on and on...
    way cheeper to just go basic.

+1

66 mph on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    and yes i know theres soooooooo much more we could do to get this ski going faster but we are trying to keep mods to a bare minimum cuz its just cheeper to buy a RXT if we get too crazy with mods.
    we might be able to pull this off for 500 or less, if we can find a used X SC that doesnt need a rebuild immediately. thats all we wanna spend to get a 185 movin to 65ish
    Look at the mods on my signature for my 2005 185. The only go fast parts are the 4" air, grate, 2*wedge, re-pitched prop, AND external X boat IC. I have the $20 Riva OPAS block-up, and used that water source for the IC - works great. Everything else is stock and it runs solid 65-66 all day long!

+1
    thats really interesting!!! basically all you added was an external IC. have you done any exhaust work to make room in the rear hull area? or ...
    does the 2005 model have a normal exhaust system, the 2003 has 2 waterboxes, extra resonators... its a real mess!!

what impeller did you start with?? 12/20?

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Why didnt you go with a drop in impeller on OEM charger?You will be just fine!Also keep an eye on those cast pistons!

+1
    we havent done anything yet.
    drop in impeller on stock charger will require a rebuild kit and drop in charger, plus the cost to have someone put it together.
    its cheeper to just by an X charger new.
    unless we find a good used SC impeller for cheep, and rebuild ourselves, but its still gonna cost nearly as much as a brand new X charger.
    and the cast pistons are a limiting factor, but they have been used by several members on the board here to get skis goin 8100 rpm and 70+ mph, so they can handle it. we arent plannig to go that far. maybe 65-66 mph, 7600 rpm(stock)

in all honesty you should just by the x charger brand new. you say that you are in need of a rebuild anyways then you know what you got, more boost and 100hr garantee before rebuild. you buy a used one for say 300-400 that is going to be in need of a rebuild probably sooner then later anyway. so you are going to be dropping another 400 on top of that for rebuild. plus what ever it will cost you to replace stuff if it lets go. so me personaly i would spend the extra 200 for piece of mind and security

+1
    Lextoy--You have no idea of what you are getting into. You said no engine work. Well, to run an X-Charger you will have to pull the motor and change flywheels. DO NOT fill the oiling hole in the X-Charger SC shaft. That is not the oiling problem. Just install a Viton seal. Then your will have to install a 215 HP fuel regulator. (used works fine) You will need 42 lb injectors for sure. To really make this set up work you will need a Riva rear air for a RXP. Yes it can be done on a three seater. I have it on mine. Then a 14/19 prop. NOT TO WORRY about the cast pistons. How do I know all this--I set up my wife's ski (its a 2006 GTX 185 HP) with all the above mods over two and one half years ago and have had no issues whatsoever with 162 hours on the meter. It runs 71 MPH plus on a cool day and 69 to 70 in the current south Texas heat with NO intercooler. Keep the OPAS on--just block them up and the ski will handle just fine. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information