Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

open loop or closed loop???

with a new speed of 77.2 ive been thinking of open loop cooling.. what are the pros and cons of this? will it push me that much closer to 80 just by using the riva plate? i already have a jims plate and its running well... Just need some of your experience and numbers regarding this setup and if it will benifit me at all? thanks

+1
    I asked this question a few months back and got this basic consensus.... It is up to personal preference. The short of it was to keep the closed loop and add a thermo to drop the temp of the engine. You need to be careful how low you drop the engine temp because you want to get the oil to the correct viscosity to properly lube the engine (9secZ06) and properly bathe the components. There is such a thing as too cool of an engine that doesn't allow the oil to heat up to the optimal temp. I was advised to go with the SFR plate and STAY closed loop and add a thermo. The SFR plate handles better, tracks better, and adds 3-4mph GUARANTEED. Way better than Riva's plate. It feels like you lost 100 lbs off the back of the ski. It is only $340 for the plate mod. Still comes out cheaper going that route versus the Riva plate and Open loop cooling kit. JMO!

+1
    If it were me I would go with the heat exchanger setup. The thjermo only opens earlyer, it doesnt improve the efficiency of the system. if you engine gets too hot now it will still get too hot as you will have not done anything to make the system better at getting heat out of the coolent.

If you add a heat exchanger you will have very efficient cooling with all the benifits of the closed loop system. Then you can run any plate you like.

Open loop is very good, but its harder to control temps, as above there can be issues with oil temp that will cause your oil to get diluted with fuel (GIO Gas In Oil)

IMO its very good for racing where the engine is worked extremly hard for the whole race, you have lean and aggressive ignition settings in the ECU so running the engine cooler can help to keep it safe. A racer would rather change his oil every weekend then blow an engine or be slow.

R88

+1
    The riva and fizzle kits are dam near perfect imo. My ski warms in three minutes and stays around 164

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    The riva and fizzle kits are dam near perfect imo. My ski warms in three minutes and stays around 164
    My opinion also....

+1
    I upgrade your supercharger no way im putting water from lake or sea in my fresh motor. I would do a heat exchanger like r88 said and also change that stock thermostat out with a low temp one. If your looking for more speed get a better supercharger and rude fuel controller done. You can sell your old super charger and cover half the costs and by the time you shelled out the riva kit money you be there

Banned User
    +1
    You're in canada? HX (30 plate), 160 thermo, and a open loop plate....Plug and play...Connect the HX in between the IC out and exhaust manifold in.....Done.....Motor will run fine, no thermal shock of the cold water from up north...

+1
    If you're a recreation rider, use the KISS method.......just add a lower degree thermostat.

+1
    Closed loop......I ran both and switched back to closed loop after seeing what the open loop can do to the motor...

+1
    im still tossed on the idea... i have a jims plate now so IMO the SFR plate and jims plates perform basically the same.. i saw a 2-3 mph gain and higher lift with my jims plate.

i just dont want to damage anything on the engine.. i just i will have some thinking to do. and the fact the riva ride plates dont fit well at all and alot of modding may be needed to make it sit flush

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information