Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

opinions on gutted water water boxes

I'm thinking about a gutted/shortened waterbox for my 05' rxp that has a riva thru hull, et137, fizzle ic and so on.

Is a gutted/shortened waterbox just for sound or do they add any performance?

How loud are they with a thru hull exhaust?

thanks

+1
    By gutting the OEM box and shorting it you will let the motor breathe better...you wont see a whole lot of performance gain but should see some RPM increase..If you want to do this then i say do it..its not gonna hurt anything...They will definatly be louder than the stock thats for sure..if thats something you dont want then stay with the OEM setup..if you like it some what loud with a nice rolling rumble,then youll be happy you did it...

Its not like crazy loud with the riva thru hull tho?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessguy View Post
    Its not like crazy loud with the riva thru hull tho?
    So so....it may be a tad bit quiter,but not much....

+1
    I wouldnt cut the outlet pipe off inside the box. Maybe just shorten it. I cut it off now I kick myself in the ass because I have to worry about the box filling up at idle and the water backing into the motor when I shut it off. I have to punch the throttle before I shut it off

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    This is my shortened and gutted waterbox, it does have an impact plate where the hot gasses dump to protect the waterbox from wear on the inside.
    Also makes the supercharger removal easier, you never have to remove the waterbox again!

+1
    I had a Green water box when Jerry was getting them made, the same as a Riva waterbox and a gutted shortened stocker. It was loud as hell, especally when the pump came unhooked.

It will give you much better throttle response and about 50-100rpm's and you can remove the SC without removing the exhaust, but it just attracted too much attention from the water patrol. I went back to the stock water box with the thruhull, I would rather hear the SC whine from my Riva 4" intake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I wouldnt cut the outlet pipe off inside the box. Maybe just shorten it. I cut it off now I kick myself in the ass because I have to worry about the box filling up at idle and the water backing into the motor when I shut it off. I have to punch the throttle before I shut it off
    +1...... If you do shorten it don't, cut the pipe all the way off in the inside...... I never experienced the the having to burst throttle before shutting it off... but on long idles....... the box will fill up and if you have a oxygen sensor in the manifold..... it will knock it out. Also for anyone that has read some old post... don't flare the pipe either, at first had mine flared and it sounded great!! , but the long idles water would back up and kill o2 sensor and then it somehow was destroying my exhaust bell on manifold. Once I took it off no more problems. Good luck.

sounds like i'll just stick with installing my riva thru hull and oem box.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    hey do you have a picture or can you explain a little better what pipe you are talking about. reason why i ask is because i had a bung welded into my j pipe and he shortened the end of the pipe that went into the waterbox. but i was not sure if that is what you are talking about or if there is a pipe in the actual water box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information