Replaced old battery with glass mat

Hi, I recently replaced my old acid filled battery with a glass mat battery. The old one had a clear tube coming from the top of the battery to a vent at the front of the machine. Any reason why the old one would need a vent but not the new one doesn't? Want to make sure before I remove the tube.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    HELL NO!! Get rid of that thing...unless you decide to go back to the old flooded lead acid battery style. Which btw you won't after using the AGM battery

Banned User
    +1
    There is no vent on an AGM battery

Don't know what ski or batt you have, but watch the skis that have the alum. elect box on top of batt, the amgs i have seen don't have as deep of connection pockets.As the polaris battery. Watch for shorting, I'd make it into a side post mounting, i used longer ss bolts & larger ss nuts,as spacers to do mine, with cables downwards. until i got some3/16" lead plate to use as spacer, It made my whole install neater.

Thanks guys. One more question on AGM's. There seems to be some different opinions on what type of charger to use on them. Can I use the same charger I used on the lead acid battery?

Banned User
    +1
    Check with the battery manufacturer

I have the settings on my smart charger. It will charge more like a deepcycle long and slower. Anything 10amps and under should be fine. I wouldn't leave it on a 10-12 amp charge for over 8hrs. Check for heat warm ok hot bad. Get it charged put it in and don't sweat it man.

Banned User
    +1
    My Odyssey battery requires higher charge rates than a standard battery. They are very specific on their website as to which chargers are appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    My Odyssey battery requires higher charge rates than a standard battery. They are very specific on their website as to which chargers are appropriate
    I use a fully automatic Sears Diehard battery charger that has the AGM/GEL charge option. I also charge it at 15 amps because as you mentioned it does call for a higher charge rate than a normal wet cell. Has worked great for me.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    For the Odyssey batteries, it isn't so much the amperage, but more the voltage. You can't go over 15 volts or you risk damaging the battery.

I have a maintainer I use and also hook up a voltmeter to make sure it doesn't go too high.

Thread Information