Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Grinding Riva Rideplate: Where and why?

Recently I purchased a Riva plate, and have not had time to install it yet. I've had a couple friends mention to me that they stayed away from the Riva plate because grinding was required to make it fit. This does not bother me, but I am wondering where some people are grinding the plate and why? Is the intake grate hanging down too low? In this case I would think you would grind the grate and not the plate. Is the pump or venturi nozzle contacting the top of the plate? I thought this was only an issue with the pump extension? I just want to know what to expect so I remember to take the right air tools to my lake house this weekend. Thank you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pwc4life View Post
    Recently I purchased a Riva plate, and have not had time to install it yet. I've had a couple friends mention to me that they stayed away from the Riva plate because grinding was required to make it fit. This does not bother me, but I am wondering where some people are grinding the plate and why? Is the intake grate hanging down too low? In this case I would think you would grind the grate and not the plate. Is the pump or venturi nozzle contacting the top of the plate? I thought this was only an issue with the pump extension? I just want to know what to expect so I remember to take the right air tools to my lake house this weekend. Thank you.
    We grind the plate and the grate if needed. The purpose is to ensure these components flush true to the hull and each other. The plates need grinding on top and mostly near and at the front. You will need to take your time and dry fit each time you remove a little material.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    We grind the plate and the grate if needed. The purpose is to ensure these components flush true to the hull and each other. The plates need grinding on top and mostly near and at the front. You will need to take your time and dry fit each time you remove a little material.
    Dry fitting and taking your time is the key. This is one of the few things you CANNOT get in a hurry about. Good luck. Just take your time.

+1
    The plates need grinding on top and mostly near and at the front.
    Really? So the side that mates to the hull requires grinding? This is surprising to me. Is this some sort of casting issue? I've never heard of any of my friends with GPR, FZR, Ultra 150, etc. have to grind the top of the plate to get it to mate flush to the hull.

Grinding the grate to make it flush with the plate I can understand, but the top of the plate surprises me.

+1
    Really? So the side that mates to the hull requires grinding? This is surprising to me. Is this some sort of casting issue? I've never heard of any of my friends with GPR, FZR, Ultra 150, etc. have to grind the top of the plate to get it to mate flush to the hull.

Grinding the grate to make it flush with the plate I can understand, but the top of the plate surprises me.

Apparently you have not asked the right people. Tons of people have to grind the plates as they are know to NOT BE PLUG AND PLAY....

+1
    There were some issues using this plate with the pump extension kit on the rxp's. The pump/steering assembly would hit the top of the rideplate.

+1
    I ground mine mostly where the shoe contacts the plate, up front near the 4 front bolt holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	250067

+1

Dude you can bolt it right up if you want! Problem is that Riva did a fuuuuukkkd job on the casting molds resulting in the plates sitting to low in the front and slightly tilted. If bolted straight up it sticks down in the front causing drag and turbulance (spell check). You'll soon find out when you get the plate and do a dry fit!

+1
    It's a common misconception about the RIVA plates that they are plug and play when in fact it is the direct opposite.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    I ground mine mostly where the shoe contacts the plate, up front near the 4 front bolt holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	250067
    the plates sitting to low in the front and slightly tilted. If bolted straight up it sticks down in the front causing drag and turbulance
    This is the information I was looking for. Thank you for the picture and descriptions psycho rxp and dnielsen!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information