Free Jet ski, blown engine. What should I do/save

Hey all.

So I got a free 1992 VXR with a toasted piston and it looks like the bearings in the rod are toast.When I try and turn the crank via coupler, it only goes about half way around. I found a few pieces of metal in the crank case edge that look like pencil leads, but I am assuming they are bearings from the rod. You can see in the picture where they have popped out. So should I just send this puppy out to get rebuilt, or buy a reman crankshaft and top end and do myself? Never rebuilt one of these before, but I do have a shop manual. The joker before me rebuilt the engine once before, and I found red loctite all over the pistons and even in the crankcase. Thanks for the help.

[/URL] [/IMG]

+1
    I would just get manufacture crank. Some places want the old one for the shaft and counter weights. Some one might have a used one for cheap. May e-bay but it hit or miss. Not sure its Worth it. good luck.

+1
    I know that this is a completely different perspective, but I am a very practicle person. That is either a 650 or 701 engine and there are lots of them out there, so it is an option to DIY. On the other hand.....

What would it cost to have someone completely go through that engine? I'm talking carbs and everything.... put it all back to spec and just put it in the boat..... plug and play. Say that it cost 1000 bucks.

You ride the thing for 2 years and then get tired of it, or maybe you love the thing but want to upgrade.

Do you think you could sell it for what you have in it? Another way of looking at it is if you were buying a 92 VXR, would you be willing to pay 1000 if you knew for a fact that it had been gone through by a professional?

If you went in half stepping, you may loose all that you put into it.

Just my opinion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    I know that this is a completely different perspective, but I am a very practicle person. That is either a 650 or 701 engine and there are lots of them out there, so it is an option to DIY. On the other hand.....

What would it cost to have someone completely go through that engine? I'm talking carbs and everything.... put it all back to spec and just put it in the boat..... plug and play. Say that it cost 1000 bu
    You ride the thing for 2 years and then get tired of it, or maybe you love the thing but want to upgrade.

Do you think you could sell it for what you have in it? Another way of looking at it is if you were buying a 92 VXR, would you be willing to pay 1000 if you knew for a fact that it had been gone through by a professional?

If you went in half stepping, you may loose all that you put into it.

Just my opinion.

+ 1 on that

Thread Information