Need your folks opinion 96 GTI or 99 GSX limited??

I am pondering buying a jetski and since i have been a loyal ski doo snowmobile rider for some time im looking at the sea doos. I am looking at 2 machines right now and would love some input on them. First is a 1996 GTI with 350 hours, guy said its prof maintained every year by the dealer and comes with trailer for 1100.00 and i am also looking at a 1999 GSX limited with 99 hours and the guy wants 1800 with no trailer. What is the reliability on these two machines?? i dont want to buy something im going to have to sink a ton of money in. Thanks for your help.

+1
    I think the gti is a 720 motor. I think top speed is about 50 mph. The motor is pretty reliable. The hull is a 3 seater. Not bad in choppy water. You able to tow a ski or tub too. I have a gsx limited it is a 2 seater and it runs around 60 mph. Handle better than the gti for turning. It is a great ski for how cheap fairly fast it is. The reliability is not a good as the gti and sometimes when the motors lets go they grenade badly destroying the hole engine block. But to me it is worth it. But 300 hr on a gti is not bad. I have heard of people getting 500 to 800 hr on one and the motors are cheap to replace in comparison the gsx limited. good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    I think the gti is a 720 motor. I think top speed is about 50 mph. The motor is pretty reliable. The hull is a 3 seater. Not bad in choppy water. You able to tow a ski or tub too. I have a gsx limited it is a 2 seater and it runs around 60 mph. Handle better than the gti for turning. It is a great ski for how cheap fairly fast it is. The reliability is not a good as the gti and sometimes when the motors lets go they grenade badly destroying the hole engine block. But to me it is worth it. But 300 hr on a gti is not bad. I have heard of people getting 500 to 800 hr on one and the motors are cheap to replace in comparison the gsx limited. good luck
    + 1

If your a performance oriented/minded individual, the GSX limited would be a better fit. But as stated, the 951 engine can be a bit tempermental.

The 720 was a more reliable engine, parts slightly cheaper and is a simpler design. Easier to wrench on.

Only issue I see is.... I doubt a 96 motor with 300 hours has made it this long without at least a top end. And if it hasn't, it's getting close.

Thread Information