Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Have you indexed a Fuji crank?

I would like to talk to someone who has hands-on experience indexing a Fuji crank.

This is for the SurfJet project, but its just a small Fuji twin motor, 255cc.

If you wouldn't mind answering some questions by telephone, can you email your phone number to me?

Michael

delagemb(at)gmail.com

+1
    I guess I need to be more clear. I have checked my crank index, and have found it to be out by 9 degrees.

My regular crank guy isn't returning my calls. (I'm hoping he is on vacation and not out of business!) I certainly don't have the patience to send it off to Northerncrankshaft and wait 2 months for it!

I would like to talk with someone who has corrected an out-of-index crank.

Send it to Dan from Indyspecialty, in Minnesota. He knows Polarii inside and out and does a great job. His number is 651-388-9045. Only way to reindex it is to press it apart, get the index correct, and press it back. There was a guy on here who did it himself..I just forget his name...He's from MI.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Hayabusa has doddled with the Fuji cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Hayabusa has doddled with the Fuji cranks.
    Thanks Kevin...that's him.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    I guess I need to be more clear. I have checked my crank index, and have found it to be out by 9 degrees.
    Thats a lot, your probably not going to be able to fix 9 degrees with out pressing it apart. Twins are a LOT easier than triples so that might save you, small changes can be made after it is all pressed together but nothing to crazy. You probably wont have to press it completely apart, just part way to reduce some of the friction and use a lead or brass hammer to tweak it around and then re true it. Did you just have this rebuilt?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ujustlost View Post
    Did you just have this rebuilt?
    Well, sorta. I got the machine over the winter. I sent out the crank to my crank guy as it had an obviously gritty bearing. I asked him to go thru it. He sent it back and pronounced it good.

I thought he checked phase, but perhaps not? I know it's difficult to check in these cranks without pistons and cylinders, and a lot of time.

That's what I've been wondering, can I support this thing in v blocks, give it a good whack or 2, and expect the phase to come back around? Or put it in the case and give it a few whacks?

Doing a little quick math I see that I need to move the outside of the web .26" 9/360 x 10 9/16".... It doesn't sound like a lot until you scribe the lines on the web!

+1
    9 degrees is huge. how did you check it. IMO, the best way to check crank phase/timing is in the case with pistons and cylinders installed. Degree wheel on the crank, dial gauge into the bore. Rotate piston 1 to TDC, zero degree wheel. Dial gauge into the other bore and rotate #2 to TDC, degree wheel should be 180. If it's not, then the crank needs to be taken apart down to the center, reindexed and put back together. You CAN'T fix it any other way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wetwolf View Post
    9 degrees is huge. how did you check it.
    Agreed, 9 deg is huge. I'm hoping this pretty much explains the performance problem of this machine....

Wolf, yes, I checked it pretty much exactly as you described. The only thing was, I gutted a spark plug, drilled out the center large enough to hold my dial indicator, threaded and installed a setscrew to hold the dial indicator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Well, sorta. I got the machine over the winter. I sent out the crank to my crank guy as it had an obviously gritty bearing. I asked him to go thru it. He sent it back and pronounced it good.

I thought he checked phase, but perhaps not? I know it's difficult to check in these cranks without pistons and cylinders, and a lot of time.

That's what I've been wondering, can I support this thing in v blocks, give it a good whack or 2, and expect the phase to come back around? Or put it in the case and give it a few whacks?

Doing a little quick math I see that I need to move the outside of the web .26" 9/360 x 10 9/16".... It doesn't sound like a lot until you scribe the lines on the web!
    Your probably not going to be able to move it without at least pressing it somewhat apart. We use a 30 ton press on the larger fuji cranks but your is probably much smaller. The thing of it is, is even if you press it apart and get it back together to say within 1 degree, you still will need a truing stand to get it where it needs to be. I would just send it to a different crank guy if you don't have the equipment. Being that its a twin or "twining" as I call it, you should get a quick turn around.....The scribe a line trick is nice if you know your crank is good, that way you can use them to get your crank back together at least somewhat close. IMO without a truing stand, there's not a whole lot you can do,,,,,,sure you might be able to press it apart a little and beat it with a hammer and eventually get back to withing a degree ish, but them it still needs to be trued.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information