R1 bike head/block into a vx110?????

Hi i have a bown up vx110, would an r1 bike engine fit straight in using the vx ancillaries???? What are the actual block/head differences if any? (far cheaper to buy a smashed up r1 bike in the uk than a vx110 engine!)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosch Man View Post
    Hi i have a bown up vx110, would an r1 bike engine fit straight in using the vx ancillaries???? What are the actual block/head differences if any? (far cheaper to buy a smashed up r1 bike in the uk than a vx110 engine!)
    An R1 engine will not fit into any Yamaha PWC. Although the MR1 is based on an R1, there are many differences......the biggest one being that the R1 has a gearbox, so the block casting is completly different in that area. Your VX revs around 8000rpm........an R1 goes to 14-15000 if memory serves me correctly.....not even the FX gear reduction could handle that. The closest PWC motor to the R1 is the FX 998cc MR1..........very few parts are the same!

Any of the MR1 engines should fit. Some much easier than others. The MR1 was based on the older R1 engine. Not the newer engine. You can check the Bore and stroke specs of the engines. Then 998 has the same bore as the 1052. They increased the stroke for the extra displacement. I guess you could Cut to fit, weld to match and paint prevent the Frankenstein look and put just about anything in the hull. Might look in the conversion areas to see if anybody else has changed engines, possibly an 1800cc engine? Engines are becoming more available as these jets get older here in the States.
    Roy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TennR600 View Post
    Then 998 has the same bore as the 1052. They increased the stroke for the extra displacement.
    Roy
    The 1052cc is larger bore......that is why you can get oversize pistons for the 998cc but not the HO motor. 998 is also steel bore, where as 1052 is nikasil.
    I have to disagree with you about dropping an R1 into a jetski.........OK anything is possible.....but the amount of work & cost involved would be very high...........the R1 & MR1, although from the same base, are very different engines.

Isn't there also other differences from it being a marine engine? I mean constant load things necessary like bigger main bearings different journals etc... ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    The 1052cc is larger bore......that is why you can get oversize pistons for the 998cc but not the HO motor. 998 is also steel bore, where as 1052 is nikasil.
    I have to disagree with you about dropping an R1 into a jetski.........OK anything is possible.....but the amount of work & cost involved would be very high...........the R1 & MR1, although from the same base, are very different engines.
    I was also wandering if you known the 1000 apex Yamaha snowmobile is more like the R1 motor with out the gear box's or closer to the vx 110? I was just kicking it around. I found a sled with a turbo 300 hp for a pretty good deal. But like you said the rpm are probably wrong and will not work plus you would have to make exhaust manifold for the water jacket. To much work for me.

Thread Information