Quality Fuel Line?

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good quality fuel line? Iv e heard the Automotive fuel line argument, urethanes seem to get hard . Some recommend the motion pro tygon? Cost is not the issue, or appearance. I just want a good line for my customers . so I dont have to keep replacing it every year! Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dunnitagain View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation on a good quality fuel line? Iv e heard the Automotive fuel line argument, urethanes seem to get hard . Some recommend the motion pro tygon? Cost is not the issue, or appearance. I just want a good line for my customers . so I dont have to keep replacing it every year! Thanks
    Ive been using gates hose not the cheap brand it seems to be working good. I did find a black fuel line at lowes it has the shiny outer coating i really like it but they only carry it in 1/4 inch.

+1
    what about OEM fuel line? Seems to last ok.

+1
    I put trident USCG approve fuel lines on my skis 2 years ago. I haven't had any problem but it only been 2 years. I did 2 ski for around $80 and got it at a industrial marina boat store.

I just redid my fuel lines with hose from Fast Flow Fuel Lines. No long term experience but it does appear to be quality fuel line.

In the tank and as vacuum lines I used Tygon from McMasterCarr.

i always used sbt fuel line with no problems

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Shields USCG A-1 rated line is the only stuff I use. It's the real deal and it's rated for ethanol. Disaster potential is high when dealing with fuel lines. Use OEM or Shields if you value your life and your ski. I also use otkier clamps everywhere I can. Everybody hates me, except for my shop insurnace company.

Goodyear Hysunite J30R7 fuel line. It is the best I have used for the money. Ethanol rated, and remains flexible for years. Under $15 for a 25' spool. No, it is not marine rated, but it is high quality stuff...and I've seen plenty of cheap, dangerous line. Also use oetiker clamps.

Also, I wouldn't use Tygon for the pulse (vacuum) lines. It doesn't have the wall strength, and can collapse under minimal vacuum.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    First off, if anybody hasn't read this thread on fuel lines, strongly suggested:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...el-line-thread...

Now that's certainly a great price for what looks like a decent fuel line and while we're not technically required to use marine rated hose I prefer to use a rated hose.

One of the forum members actually posted the SAE standards document for the SAE j1509 rated line so you can have a look for your self ( find it in the temp fuel line thread posted above)

The quality I note is 2.5 minutes of fire resistance

Being in business, I want my customers to know that I am not going to do something that puts them at any risk for the sake of making a couple of extra bucks. I make a very big deal about using rated hose even though the USCG doesn't require it ( I'm also quick to point out while the disclaimer stickers also say we don't have to have powered ventilation of the bilge there have been a few incidents and now many vendors have warning labels such as "remove seat while fueling etc etc etc)

I wouldn't worry much about using that goodyear stuff on my personal jetski, but I sleep better at night knowing that I'm not going to find a registered letter regarding some fuel system repair I did two years ago failing and causing a problem.

The shields branded hose is an interesting construction..besides the tough as a nail braided outer sheath ( which has nice compressibility for use with otiker clamps) it has a soda straw like plastic liner which is tougher then nails.

I'm fond of saying mechanical work on a pwc is just a half step down from working on aircraft. Why?..at least around here getting stuck out on the lake puts a rider at extreme risk of injury as we get lots of low experience boaters coming out here to have a fun day and a number of them are know to drink alcohol while boating. After a few tragedies in the last several years we're finally beefing up our drinking/boating laws. being stuck on our lake during a holiday weekend is somewhat akin to walking on a freeway during a rush hour rainstorm during a total eclipse. I can't imagine what it would be like to be running offshore and having any problems

All that being said I'd blow the extra $20 and use the A1 rated lines if they are available to you when you need to do the work.

With E15 on market now..it's more important then ever to make sure you are using good fuel line

Thread Information