Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    97 Kawasaki STX 1100

1997 Kawaski stx 1100 help?

Hi guys, I just picked up a 97 sts 1100. Now for my issues... This ski only has 150 hrs. Runs good for about 2 minutes then all of a sudden wont go over 35 mph if you give it more gas it trys to bog down... I was aware of the problem when I got it...... Now heres the deal. The guy had it at the dealer for a month and they could not figure it out. The stator has been replaced, carbs rebuilt, compressions good, wires cut at the ends, and all this stuff was done due to this issue.... He had reciepts for everything. They took him to the bank.. Im thinking CDI or maybe the digital display if theres a safty function that could cause this... Any suggestions would be helpful..... By the way the ski runs on the hose just fine. Its only when you put it in the water.... Apperently this guy has had this issue now since last yr and after just pooring money into with still no cure he's given up. He stated the ski was running great. He stopped for lunch, tyed up to the dock and when he came back from eating his ski started acting up. Hasnt ran right since. He did mention he did a full throttle run just as he was stopping for lunch but when he tied it up it was running good.. Help help please someone point me in the right direction...

+1
    Ride it with the seat off. When it runs badly, feel the cylinder heads to see if one is cold (not firing). Also, try pulling the choke and switching to the reserve tank pickup.

Might be water in the fuel, an air leak in the fuel system (selector valve, etc.).

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Ride it with the seat off. When it runs badly, feel the cylinder heads to see if one is cold (not firing). Also, try pulling the choke and switching to the reserve tank pickup.

Might be water in the fuel, an air leak in the fuel system (selector valve, etc.).
    Ok well I took the ski out today for the first time.... It definetly is a ignition issue. Its breaking down under a load... I pulled the choke and it got worse tried stalling ... I fingered the throttle to try getting it going. If I just lay into it it trys stalling. You literly have to finger the throttle to get it up and going.... Even at that it doesnt really want to go anywhere... The previos owner stated he changed the stator and even gave me the old one.. Im thinking CDI What do you guys think?

+1
    Why do you say it's definitely ignition? If it will run 35, I would think the ignition system is probably OK. Did you check for a cold cylinder?

Check your Reed Valves, sounds like you may have a pedal broken off of one of the Reeds.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    cylinders are all warm as they should be... Not hot. Ski is running about 20-30 mph and sometimes wont run anything more then idle. After sitting idle it will let me get back on it. If Im able to stay about 20 mph sometimes I can get it to stay running for a little bit. But it seams the longer the ski runs the worse it gets. Everytime I stop and idle for a minute I can floor it and it will get up to plain and then start loosing power again like its loosing fuel pressure... Or the ignition is dieing in it. I replaced the stator with the original one that came with it after ohm testing it and tested the charging system which is showing 14V . I also did a 15 amp draw test. key on engine off .03 key off 0.00 so Im within specs and no drain with the key off. When the engine was loosing power I pulled the choke to see if it helped by richening the carbs. It fell on its face even more leading me to think ignition... Any thoughts? Do these engines have a restrictor on the return line. I have a brass fitting which to me would seam to be one but when I removed the hose it was hollow, like its just a connector to connect the hose...

Did the ski ever sit with bad gas in it, or did it just sit for any length of time? Sounds to me like you have a fuel issue, not ignition. I would start inspecting the fuel system starting at the fuel pickup to see if anything is obstructing it, then move on to the filter. Last I would move to the pump and carbs. Open them up and see if you have anything stuck in either the pump or carbs.

It definitely sounds like a fuel problem. I had a 97 stx 900 that did the same thing I would put the choke about a 1/4 turn and i would go from 37 to about 46. I just blew it up last month so i never got to fix that problem. I did see a forum on here about a guy who had the carbs rebuilt and that put the jets in the wrong spot.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    All you guys that said fuel delivery problem were right. The inline fuel filters inside the carbs were clogged. All 3 carbs were severly clogged. I added a fuel primer to the ski and when it started bogging down I pumped the primer and the ski came back alive. i pulled the carbs and disassembled. the carbs them selves were very clean but the inline filters were completely clogged. I removed the needle and seats blew out the filter screens and cleaned with carb cleaner. Reassembled the carbs and took it out. problem solved!

Sweet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information