Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

How-To Credit Score....?

I was wondering if anyone in here has had one of those credit counseling companies work on your credit. I want to eliminate a few inquiries from my credit report and some negative items but there are so many companies online that offer these services that its a pain in the azz.

Can anyone reccomend anyone?

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    do not give them your money...it won't work. it's borderline scam. nobody can "fix" you credit score. it's a historical data of all your accounts. the only way to fix your credit score is to pay on time, pay off accounts, and "use" credit regularly. sorry, it sucks, but they will take your money and leave you hung out to dry. It's too good to be true.

hate to burst your bubble,
    sean

edit: just to be clear...they can only "fix" things that are wrong. so if you check your own credit report and see things that are wrong or inaccurate, then contact that agency, transunion, equifax, or experian. Those "repair" companies charge you money to do what you can do for free or small costs, without the middleman. they cannont make your actual past accurate information disappear.

please go here first and do your homework before you pay someone to do what you could possibly resolve for free.

www.annualcreditreport.com
    Last edited by SeanCucf; 12-22-2006 at 12:19 AM. Reason: clarification

sorry, getting carried away.....can't stand people getting ripped off.

when you get to annualcreditreport.com click on FAQ's and there are a couple credit repair questions. specifically.......FAQ's--->Where can I find out more about credit repair---->link to FTC site.

sean

Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT View Post
    I was wondering if anyone in here has had one of those credit counseling companies work on your credit. I want to eliminate a few inquiries from my credit report and some negative items but there are so many companies online that offer these services that its a pain in the azz.

Can anyone reccomend anyone?

Don't go with any of those counseling places as they will just suck your money. If you want to remove a few inquiries or inconsistencies or correct your credit report, it's fairly simple.

First either pull your credit individually from the three major credit reporting agencys, equifax / transunion / experian. Or pay to get all three. There's a good site called annualcreditreport.com which allows you to pull all three reports for free once a year. You'll be supprised that sometimes the reports differ from the credit agencies. You will have to to each individual site, find and click on "dispute your report" and fill out the form.

I have done this many times... The inquiry you send in is usually taken care of within 30 days. Sometimes when they need more proof, they will send you a letter asking for verification or some sort of proof from you. It's time consuming but fairly easy and worth it in the long run.

If you are looking to improve your score.. Well first check to make sure there aren't any errors being reported, then it's all up to you. Just pay your bills on time and make sure. One of the bigger factors is how much debt you have on your credit cards and for how long compared to your credit card limit. Work on that and you'll improve your score.
    Last edited by Marioski; 12-22-2006 at 07:10 AM.

A very high debt to income ratio and not paying on time are real killers..If you are ever looking to refinance or buy a home you can literally save hundreds of dollars a month depending on your credit score. And "ditto" to the above responses. Anytime you see something connected to credit counselling, run the other way as fast as you can...
    Last edited by Red Devil; 12-22-2006 at 07:43 AM.

+1
    Thanks for the info.

Im a loan officer, and i work with credit all day long.

Ditto to the above guys. Cant just go "fix" your score. You can disput inquiries, or have things removed that are in error, but cant just call and say remove this so it goes to XXX.

Also, be warned, if you have any collections of age 1-2 yrs + and they have not been paid on in that amount of time, paying them off will DECREASE your score. It's basically activating negative credit. I learned that the hard way on a rapid rescore for a customer. bit me square in the Arse...

+1
    But disputing them does make some go away! I've had it done before....

like I stated previously....you can change innaccurate information, but if it's correct, no amount of disputing can change it. like also stated, it's something you can do yourself and don't have to pay someone else for. but if paying someone makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    like I stated previously....you can change innaccurate information, but if it's correct, no amount of disputing can change it. like also stated, it's something you can do yourself and don't have to pay someone else for. but if paying someone makes you feel better, knock yourself out.
    Sorry to say this but you are SO wrong....Like I posted earlier, I did it and it worked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information