Question 99 XPL no front tray with coffman pipe

So I just bought my first ski a 99 XPL and it has a coffman exhaust on it and doesnt have the front storage tray. I noticed that there is a gap between the hood seal and where it closes allowing water to get in. Im guessing the tray is suppost to be there to fill the gap to make a good seal. I was going to try and find one but what im wondering is since it has the coffman pipe on it will the stock storage tray fit? Also is there a good seal to put around the bottom where the tray would have been instead of the tray? THANKS

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by formula355lt1 View Post
    So I just bought my first ski a 99 XPL and it has a coffman exhaust on it and doesnt have the front storage tray. I noticed that there is a gap between the hood seal and where it closes allowing water to get in. Im guessing the tray is suppost to be there to fill the gap to make a good seal. I was going to try and find one but what im wondering is since it has the coffman pipe on it will the stock storage tray fit? Also is there a good seal to put around the bottom where the tray would have been instead of the tray? THANKS
    Yes, the tray is supposed to be there, but with modifications to fit. Here are the instructions from Coffmans......

Modification to stock storage tray (Mandatory)
    Install aluminum tray plate cover (supplied) on left hand side of storage tray. Trace with a marker on the bottom of the tray around plate. Using a hack saw blade or dremmel tool, etc. (CAUTION IS REQUIRED!), trim along bottom 1/2" IN FROM YOUR TRACING so that the tray CLEARS THE EXHAUST PIPE. You can always go back later and trim a little extra if you need it for clearance. A small portion will need to be cut around the corner of where the fire extinguisher is located to clear the brass fitting on pipe.

When everything has clearance, bolt down the aluminum plate to plastic OEM tray (with bolts supplied), and silicone around all edges.

thanks, went and bought a trey but dont have the aluminum tray cover, i figure i will make my own set up. Anyone have pictures of how it looks with the coffman cover on it? figure it will help me make the cuts in the tray correctly.

ok got the tray cut up and fits good but the new problem is when i go to close the hood it takes ALOT of pressure to get it to go all the way down and lock. Dono is this is normal as i bought it without a tray but seems like it shouldnt be that hard to close. There are no obstructions I can see. Also I bought the tray new part #269501245 if it matters

+1
    I have to push mine down pretty darn good to latch it, but not to the point where it's an issue.... just right.

Adjust the latch with washers to bring it up a hair. The 2 pieces on the hull that look like penis'.

thanks, I put an extra washer on both sides and it closes much better

Thread Information