Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

RXP 2005 rebuild Project

Hi All,

I am from Sydney Australia. I thought I would share my Engine build.

I have had a Kawaski 750sx for 15 years and a 650 before that. (Still have the 750sx) The kids didn't like it so I started reading about the different sit down models on this forum that were available and decided on a Seadoo. (Great information here).

I purchased a 2005 IC RXP 215HP seadoo (51 hours) with a blown motor for a bargain. I had some idea what I was going to be up for.

The valve stem broke and dropped into Cylinder 1. (I guess the previous owner never fogged the engine.)

I took the head off and found the following:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1723.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	250321

Note the valves are rusted.

Name:	DSCN1730.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	250320

This is the valve head that danced in the cylinder.

Name:	DSCN1690.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	250322

If you look carefully you will see that some of the valve is embedded in the piston.

Name:	DSCN1696.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	250323

Here is a better shot.
    The worst thing was to remove the 8 bolts from bottom casing, these things must have been tightened by King Kong. I sheered the heads off the bolts, so I took it to the local engine builders and they removed them for me....these are unusable now. (I would have to buy new ones anyway)

I purchased a head that had 40 hours on it, I purchased valve guides and seals and the local engine workshop are going to replace the valves, seals, guides and deck the head for me. I will post piuctures when I get it back.

The engine block itself has a slight score in Cylinder 1, I am not sure if it is enough to worry about. I am told it can use some oil as well create a "blow thru" as the piston rings comes up past the damage.

Name:	DSCN1712.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	250324

I will take it to the workshop and ask them how much they need to remove of the bore to make it perfect again.
    The supercharger has the ceramic washers so I purchased the metal ones and hope to get that done soon.

I have purchased the oil pressure jet, the supercharger oil sprayer mod, new bolts for the flywheel.

Some questions please:-

1) What oversize pistons are available for these?
    2) What pistons do you guys recommend to put in it?

Thanks for a great site. All the info I have to rebuild the engine is from here as well as the Seadoo manuals

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    port st lucie fl

all make pistons for these ..

i may have to go through mine as well ..ill be going riva or cp..

Melbourne AUS
    That may come out with a hone (hard to tell from pic) No need for OS just get some second hand stockers, unless you plan on heavily modding the ski.

Miami, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    That may come out with a hone (hard to tell from pic) No need for OS just get some second hand stockers, unless you plan on heavily modding the ski.

The machine shop honed the cylinder chambers and found that chamber 1 had areas where the hone did not touch.

They said that the cylinder was out and it needed boring. I will try to get pictures

I have ordered some 020 oversized riva pistons

More later

Today I received the head back. It has new valve guides and seals installed. The best valves from both heads were taken out, cleaned and installed. The deck was shaved slightly. Looks new.

Name:	DSCN1736.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	251023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1737.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	251022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1735.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	251021

Noblesville, Indiana United States
    I strongly recommend ditching the 04-05 valvles..spend the money and buy the updated valves....

Ok, I purchased the Ferrea valves and getting them installed. I have the block bored and installing the Riva pistons tomorrow. Summer is comming......

Jacksonville, FL
    How much did it cost to repair the head. Also when you do the block be careful not to take much off the top

Actually I purchased another head that wasn't damaged but it had some bent valves in it. For a complete service me supplying the seals and guides cost $350AUD. This included valve reseating. The boring of the block cost $200AUD. He is not charging to redo the valves and put in the Ferrea valves as he feels sorry for me. The cost of the parts work our more expensive than do a 6 cylinder car engine.He charged me $50AUD for the PTO charger mod.

As for the original head he said it would cost a bit more as they would have to weld the chamber again and make sure that It wasn't punctured to the water jacket. This would be a total of $700.

It would have been cheaper to do it that way as I thought I wouldn't need need any valves replaced

The block didn't need anything taken off it as it was fine. The head was very slightly machined

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information