Need some help. 1996 Blaster II taking on water

Ok, I need some help. I've never had this problem in all the years my wife and I have had jetskis. I have two 96 Blaster II's that we try to split time on. Most of the time we are running our 06 SeaDoo 4 stroke RXP. I put one of the Blasters in the water today. Hadn't run it all this summer. After a couple of squirts of starter fluid, we were up and running fine. Ran it for about twenty minutes and all was fine. Didn't pull it up on Jetski dock but tied it off in water while we took the kids boating for about 4 hours. When we pulled back into the dock, we were quite shocked to find the jetski about 60% under water.
    I quickly got it out via the trailer and pulled the back plugs. Water poured out of the plugs and out the exhaust. After what seemed like forever, the water finally quit draining. I pulled it up to the garage and immediately pulled the plugs and took the top of the carb off and pulled the screens off. I tilted the ski at an extreme angle to get any remaining water out. I tried to start the ski and water shot out of both cylinder holes about 8-10 feet into the air. I did this for about five minutes until it seemed just mist was coming out. I then shot WD40 into the cylinder holes and fired again for a couple of minutes. Now oily mist shot out the holes. I reshot the holes with WD40 and called it a day.
    So, this may seem like a silly question, but what do I do now? I would assume, try to crank it again tomorrow afte putting new plugs in. Is this correct? Also, how do I figure out where the leak is coming from? Put it on the trailer, strap it down. Take seat off , back it into water and crank it and see where water may be coming from? If anyone has any advice, please send it because I'm pretty much a novice at troubleshooting and repairs.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Marty

+1
    For the moment, do not concern yourself with how the water got into your hull. Your main focus should be getting that engine started. Time is not on your side, because the longer you put off starting your engine, the greater the chances of you developeing crank problems and potentially doing a full rebuild.

You did all the right things trying to get that engine started. The only thing that you did not do is get it started. Assumeing that it is oil injected, use gas to get it started. Use your choke, pour gas into each cylinder.... use what ever tricks you use to get your boat started ASAP.

Once you get it started, you need to ride it at really high rpms for 30 minutes to an hour to help the engine rid it self of rust inducing water from your crank.

Of course you should monitor your hull for water from time to time to make sure that you are not putting yourself in harms way. More than likely it is a small leak, one that you can deal with at another time. Getting that engine started should be your main objective at this point.

Ok, got it running, now what is next?

Well, got it running. It ran great except it started taking on water after about 15 minutes of running. I barely got it back to the trailer and out of the water. When I looked into engine compartment, it had 60-70% water in it. So, I quickly drained it, cleaned it up and refired it on the trailer.

So, what do I do now? Strap it on trailer, back down ramp, crank it and start trying to figure out where water is coming from??

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    For the moment, do not concern yourself with how the water got into your hull. Your main focus should be getting that engine started. Time is not on your side, because the longer you put off starting your engine, the greater the chances of you developeing crank problems and potentially doing a full rebuild.

You did all the right things trying to get that engine started. The only thing that you did not do is get it started. Assumeing that it is oil injected, use gas to get it started. Use your choke, pour gas into each cylinder.... use what ever tricks you use to get your boat started ASAP.

Once you get it started, you need to ride it at really high rpms for 30 minutes to an hour to help the engine rid it self of rust inducing water from your crank.

Of course you should monitor your hull for water from time to time to make sure that you are not putting yourself in harms way. More than likely it is a small leak, one that you can deal with at another time. Getting that engine started should be your main objective at this point.

+1
    Yes, strap it down.

Before you crank the engine, check for any leaks. You may need a flashlight. If you see nothing or no indication of a leak, then crank it up and let it idle looking for the leak. If nothing, then begin to rev the engine up looking for leaks. You can keep the rpms up by resetting the idle screw higher while you inspect the engine compartment.

Sometimes these older units begin to leak where the cables (steering cable for instance) go through the hull. The nuts loosen up with time. You can start by looking there.

I'll take a look this week. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Yes, strap it down.

Before you crank the engine, check for any leaks. You may need a flashlight. If you see nothing or no indication of a leak, then crank it up and let it idle looking for the leak. If nothing, then begin to rev the engine up looking for leaks. You can keep the rpms up by resetting the idle screw higher while you inspect the engine compartment.

Sometimes these older units begin to leak where the cables (steering cable for instance) go through the hull. The nuts loosen up with time. You can start by looking there.

Thread Information