Rotary valve brass gear breaks 3 times in a row !!

Hi !

I have a seadoo gs 1998 with a rotax engine that has been running fine. THis summer I had to change the brass gear at the rotary valve shaft cause it was completely worn out. Also the spring that holds the gear in place was damaged. I suppose i became too hot ... It runs for about 10 minutes and then breaks down again... I have now changed it 3 times in a row !! Getting pretty frustrated. As far as I know the only oil needed comes from the injection oil. Do I have to fill up at a special place ? i thought the system pumps in the oil required by itself as soon as I start the engine.
    Maybe the valve is too close to its cover and causes friction.
    I didnīt get all the small left overs from the brass gear out of the motor. I suppose you have to reassemble the whole thing to do that.. but I figured that brass is a softer metal and shouldnīt cause any problem.

Can the inner bearing be the cause of it ? it doesnīt come out when I pull out the shaft so maybe it is worn out as well ?

Any help please ??

Peter, Sweden

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by the deran View Post
    Hi !

I have a seadoo gs 1998 with a rotax engine that has been running fine. THis summer I had to change the brass gear at the rotary valve shaft cause it was completely worn out. Also the spring that holds the gear in place was damaged. I suppose i became too hot ... It runs for about 10 minutes and then breadks down again... I have now changed it 3 times in a row !! Getting pretty excited. As far as I know the only oil needed comes from the injection oil. Do I have to fill up at a special place ? i thought the system pumps in the oil required by itself as soon as I start the engine.
    Maybe the valve is too close to its cover and causes friction.
    I didnīt get all grease from the brass gear out of the motor. I suppose you have to reassemble the whole thing to do that.. but I figured that brass is a softer metal and shouldnīt cause any problem.

Can the inner bearing be the cause of it ? it doesnīt come out when I pull out the shaft so maybe it is worn out as well ?

Any help please ??

Peter, Sweden

Are you replacing just the gear itself? You need to replace the entire RV shaft assembly, shaft and all. If the RV shaft is out of round even the slightest, it will tear that brass gear up everytime. Those motors were well known for that very scenario.

Might want to make sure you have not torn up the opposing gear on the crank.

omg ! seriously ? those are horribly expensive here in sweden. the brass gear itself costs 1300 us dollars !!

any way to check if the shaft is out of round ?

+1
    omg ! seriously ? those are horribly expensive here in sweden. the brass gear itself costs 1300 us dollars !!
    Are you freaking kidding me ? That is rediculous, you can buy a complete OEM engine for that over here. why don't you just order one online from SBT or something, and have it shipped internationally.

I'm pretty sure they will ship internationally, hell Riva motorsports does as well. You could buy OEM parts and have it shipped over for a fraction of what your paying.

A brass gear from SBT is something like $ 39.00 the complete RV Shaft is $ 89.00

http://www.shopsbt.com/ Put in your year make and model and it will display all stocked parts for your ski.

ok, I suppose there is no other way. Any tips where I can order parts in the states that are willing to ship to sweden ? How about the left over parts from the brass gear, how do I get them cleaned out ? Does the inner bearing need to be changed as well ?

very thankful for help...

omg.. that was a 0 too much.. I meant 130 us dollars of course... sorry. Still expensive though...

+1
    ok, I suppose there is no other way. Any tips where I can order parts in the states that are willing to ship to sweden ? How about the left over parts from the brass gear, how do I get them cleaned out ? Does the inner bearing need to be changed as well ?

very thankful for help...
    Check my post again above, I added a link for you.

I just looked at the companies shipping policy that I posted above, they do ship internationally. If you buy a complete rotary valve shaft it comes assembled with bearings, seal and brass gear.

Hate to say it, but the only real way your going to get every bit of brass out of that motor is to take it apart, clean and reassemble.

I want to caution you also due to the fact that you have been through three brass gears, you may have an issue with the crank gear as well.

Heres another link with shop manuals, you may be able to find one for your model.. http://www.seadoomanuals.net/

all right.. I donīt like what youīre saying... but maybe itīs the only way and the winter is coming soon here anyway. Maybe time to take it apart. Do I have to take it out of the ski in order to do that you think ? The shop manuals I actually found before and it has been a great help. Thanks anyway !! great help..

+1
    all right.. I donīt like what youīre saying... but maybe itīs the only way and the winter is coming soon here anyway. Maybe time to take it apart. Do I have to take it out of the ski in order to do that you think ? The shop manuals I actually found before and it has been a great help. Thanks anyway !! great help..
    Yes unfortunately you will have to remove the engine.

Thread Information