+1

Im interested in getting into PWC

Hello,

Im interested in getting into PWC. I checked with a local marine repair shop in Marysville to ask which PWC he preffered, he said that by repair standard, the craft were about the same to repair, but he did favor the SEADOO. The reason for this is, that there is a rubber seal of a sort around the impeller which helps protect the impeller in case debri is sucked into it. I would like some opinions from some of you if possible to guide me in the right direction of PWC.

I have never owned a PWC but I have ridden some and hade fun, I have own a 20' Trophy, but every year the fishing is getting worse and it time to change hobbies.

+1

I'm kinda bias..

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Hello,

Im interested in getting into PWC. I checked with a local marine repair shop in Marysville to ask which PWC he preffered, he said that by repair standard, the craft were about the same to repair, but he did favor the SEADOO. The reason for this is, that there is a rubber seal of a sort around the impeller which helps protect the impeller in case debri is sucked into it. I would like some opinions from some of you if possible to guide me in the right direction of PWC.

I have never owned a PWC but I have ridden some and hade fun, I have own a 20' Trophy, but every year the fishing is getting worse and it time to change hobbies.
    I'm partial to Sea Doo. Get an '08 or '09 RXP 215 or RXT 215 (NOS) they sell for around $8000.00 - $9000.00 in the winter months - about 2-3k lower than list price.

If you'll be hot doggin' alone - get the RXP. If you want to pull the kids behind the ski and still have plenty of horsepower to splash around with - get the RXT.

I would definately advise you to invest in a full wetsuit if you want to do much riding here in the Pacific NW.

Lynnwood Motoplex will most likely give you the best deals - I recently met a guy who got a brand new '09 RXT 215 for $8000.00 cash from them ... I got my '08 from them for $8700.00 plus a $300.00 shopping spree. Both great deals...

Craigo

+1
    Sea-Doo or Yamaha are both GREAT choices.

Yamaha makes a SOLID marine product, see if you can find a dealer that will let you test ride... What are you wanting it for? Where will you be riding? Do you want flat water speed or a rough water beast? If you'll give a few more details people can guide you a lil better.

+1
    Thanks Craigo and Cigarlust for replying to my thread.

I have looked on Lynnwood’s Motplex web site and found a couple of RXT in stock, but no RXP, I will try to get down there this weekend to look at the RXT.

Craigo, I’m a 230 lb person, will this PWC work for me,

And can you tell me how economical it is to repair and modify the sea doo. I like to do my own maintenance.

Honestly I do not know what type of riding I will be doing. I do know, I live close to salt water and probably be playing in most of the time. I notice most of the time around Camano, Whidbey, and Kayak, the water is usually pretty smooth, while being protected from the weather.

Cigar lust do you have any suggestions on what model of Yamaha to look at, and possibly a dealer.

Thanks
    Curt

+1
    I have looked on Lynnwood’s Motplex web site and found a couple of RXT in stock, but no RXP, I will try to get down there this weekend to look at the RXT.
    I doubt their website is updated regularly. Just call, or go down and ask the sales guy what he's got available.

Craigo, I’m a 230 lb person, will this PWC work for me,
    I'm 6'3" 250lbs + I own an 82mph RXP and a slightly modded 70mph RXT... My size gives me more control over my skis. I've done hard carving turns at over 70mph on my RXP and it's stable as hell. My RXT is more like a plank - but smashes through the chop, and I can legally pull my nephews on a towable.

can you tell me how economical it is to repair and modify the sea doo. I like to do my own maintenance.
    Sea Doo has the biggest sections on this forum. The Sea Doo Classifieds is like a candy store for Sea Doo owners on the web - lots of great deals for parts and performance modifications. There is a HUGE amount of support for these skis.

There are known issues with the Sea Doo products, as any other brand; which is why I suggested the '08 or '09 215hp models - they are lower maintenence skis with no known issues off the showroom floor. If these skis are well maintained - you will have to rebuild the superchargers every 100 hours, replace the oil every 50 hours (except for the brake-in oil change @ 10hrs), replace the coolant once every other year and replace (possibly) the carbon seal every 100 hours. The Sea Doo 4-tec ski is fairly simple and easy to work on - I'm the only one who touches (works on) my skis.

Warning: ALL PWCS ARE SPENDY TO MODIFY AND/OR REPAIR... especially if the "mod bug" gets you.

I hope this helps.

Craigo

P.S. When you are down at Lynnwood Motoplex - have the sales guy show you the Yamaha FZR or FZS or the VXR.

+1
    Thanks Craigo for all the Information, Hopefully I will be able to get down to the motoplex this week, They are closed on Sundays and Mondays which are my days off. And my schedule is pretty tight during the week.

I will probably have some more questions for you at a later date if you dont mind for my research.

+1
    Craig - Ahhhh!!!! You are going to infect him!!! just kidding Everyone has an opinion on what the best craft is. I ride with a bunch of people that are all on different skis. There's a Kawi Ultra 250, an Ultra LX, an 05 rxt, another seadoo. I ride an 09 yamaha FXHO. I went for the non-charged watercraft, that uses cheap gas. Great mileage, excellent rough water handling, reverse and trim. My only complaint is a bit tight on the storage. Serious. That is the only thing wrong!! I suggest getting out and trying a bunch of different craft. If you want, check out the 'Puget Sound Riding' under the pwctoday.com forum for the local group rides. They are all up for letting you try out the different craft.

See you all out there,

The Cap'n

Thread Information