Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

tale of my summer with a msx 140

It all started when my wife insisted on buying some sort of PWC for our July trip to Harsens Isl MI... A friend of a friend had a MSX 140 he was willing to part with for what he had into the engine. Test drive went fine so bought ski w/ trailer. Ran fine for 4 days (hard teenager days), then burned a hole in the front piston. I did not know then but came to find out the fuel regulator fell into the gas tank, common problem with the MSX. Sent the engine to SBT who honored their warranty with a new rebuild 10 days later. Very cool. Installed it (including the kawasaki inline regulator (25 + psi)) in time for our next Harsens Isl weekend trip. Ski was like new, lots of power, ran cool and I even fixed the reverse (wife was very impressed) for 10 miles anyway, then burned a hole in the pto piston. What the heck is going on? Anyone?

+1
    Did anyone hook it up to the Polaris Wrench Program to check for faults and clear the codes?

When you changed the engine out did you take the injectors off the heads and leave them all connected or did you take them off separately If so you may have mixed up the injectors there programmed to the CDI or MPEM and cant be mixed up other wise you will have a problem. Lets say you had a Bad injector on the front then changed out the engine put the injectors on the wrong cylinders now it moved to the PTO cylinder.
    Other things like the Heat sensor on the exhaust manifold can be a problem.

+1
    No i did not check with Polaris Wrench Program, actually there was no time, I was finishing the rebuild at 1 am the night before our weekend trip and yes I left the injectors hooked up to the tank. Heat sensor on the exhaust manifold was plugged in

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by roundtopjeff View Post
    .....wife insisted on buying some sort of PWC for our July trip to Harsens Isl MI...
    You do know there was a bunch of us at Harsen's Island in July? I don't have any suggestions for your problem but I hope you can get it fixed and have the ski there next year.

KJ

+1
    thanks KJ: Yea Harsens is a great place for PWCs and fishing (luckily we have a fishing boat too) with miles and miles of channels. Its possible I may give up on (part out) this polaris if I cant find an answer to the melting pistons problem. Ill wait untill SBT comes back with their diagnosis before I do anything rash.

if you part it out there are a couple of parts I need. I own two of these gems and you can never have enough parts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by roundtopjeff View Post
    It all started when my wife insisted on buying some sort of PWC for our July trip to Harsens Isl MI... A friend of a friend had a MSX 140 he was willing to part with for what he had into the engine. Test drive went fine so bought ski w/ trailer. Ran fine for 4 days (hard teenager days), then burned a hole in the front piston. I did not know then but came to find out the fuel regulator fell into the gas tank, common problem with the MSX. Sent the engine to SBT who honored their warranty with a new rebuild 10 days later. Very cool. Installed it (including the kawasaki inline regulator (25 + psi)) in time for our next Harsens Isl weekend trip. Ski was like new, lots of power, ran cool and I even fixed the reverse (wife was very impressed) for 10 miles anyway, then burned a hole in the pto piston. What the heck is going on? Anyone?

I found out from SBT it was lack of oil in the rear cyl that caused the damage.

When I reinstalled the engine I removed the bleeder screw and oil was flowing.
    When I started the engine I saw an oil bubble flow into the manifold on that cyl. (pto)
    I held the oil cable wide open when 1st started up (like the manual says to)
    I used Polaris premium oil (not gold) , manual says use gold but I never have.
    What could I have done wrong?
    BTW when I took the intake manifold apart it was soaked with oil (all cyls)

Lack of oil will not burn a hole in the piston.
    It will score the sides all the way around but not burn a hole.
    Holes are from wrong spark plugs, lean injectors, old gas, twisted cranks, and probably a couple other things.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. But I would be arguing with sbt. Not that it will do you any good. But you will feel better.

+1
    your right about the hole...I miss spoke...I assumed there was a hole (no compression and all) but with SBT engines you can not tear them apart yourself, just ship em back as is. SBT says no hole in piston.

what did they say the problem is?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information