+1

PA/Water gap/North Jersey Places to ride?

My daughter left for college, East Stroudsburg PA (right on the border of RT80) she wants me to bring the skis up on the weekend. Is there any place to ride in that area?
    We went camping at Delaware family campground on rt46, and saw skis in the river, but donít know where any public ramps are in that area. Also, I know the Delaware can get shallow real quick.
    So is anyone familiar with the Delaware or any lakes in that area?

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Never ridden on the DE and I'm not sure where in Jersey you are, but Lake Hopatcong and Greenwood Lake are popular in north jersey...or Lake Wallenpaupack more northwest. Or trailer them to the shore for the day and ride with the EastCoastPWC guys on Labor Day Weekend

+1
    I frequent Lake Hopatcong since I know a couple people with boats there. Its alotta fun, basically like a big party.
    Budd lake, only allowed during the week, small, but usually very calm.

I've also been on the Delaware and I actually launched @ the same campground you stayed at, even tho it cost $25
    We went with someone who lives on the river with a ski so he knows where to go and when. The river was VERY calm!

Or there's also Cranberry Lake in Sussex which a couple people have recommended, but I haven't tried.... yet

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    Never ridden on the DE and I'm not sure where in Jersey you are, but Lake Hopatcong and Greenwood Lake are popular in north jersey...or Lake Wallenpaupack more northwest. Or trailer them to the shore for the day and ride with the EastCoastPWC guys on Labor Day Weekend
    I live a mile from Raritan bay (woodbridge) were we go all the time, but she wants me to bing the skis up to her of course (becasue of her busy schedule i guess, classes havn't even statrted yet....LOL.

I think she's closeer to lake wallenpaupack, anyone know of public ramps or any restrictions on that lake?

+1
    This from: http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj/wallenpaupack.htm

"Getting your boat into the lake is not usually a problem. There is only one "public" (read:free) boat launch ramp, which is located in Mangan cove, adjacent to the dam, off of Pa. route 590. It is maintained by the Pa. Fish and Boat Commission, and offers a good sized parking lot along with toilet facilities and places to load and unload your boat. There are also launch ramps located at the 4 PP&L campsites which surround the lake. These are open to the public, but you are charged a fee to use them. Most of the full service lake side marinas also offer ramp access for a fee. There are also private ramps, which are for the exclusive use of the members of the private communities or clubs which maintain them.

The growing popularity of the area over the years, has made weekend boat traffic on the lake somewhat busy and crowded. A 45 MPH speed limit has been enacted during summer weekends, to help manage the crowd and hopefully reduce the potential for mishaps. With this much on-water traffic, it can get a bit rough, especially if the wind adds to the chop generated by boat wakes. If riding comfort is a priority, I would not recommend a boat smaller than 20' that didn't at least weigh at least 3000 lbs. Smaller and lighter boats will pound on the heavy chop, making the experience less than fun, especially for those with back problems."

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra8 View Post
    I live a mile from Raritan bay (woodbridge) were we go all the time, but she wants me to bing the skis up to her of course (becasue of her busy schedule i guess, classes havn't even statrted yet....LOL.

I think she's closeer to lake wallenpaupack, anyone know of public ramps or any restrictions on that lake?
    Show her what an awesome time it is riding with other people, come down to the Manasquan River Sept 4!

There are about 3 free ramps on the Jersey side of the DWG National Park. There's also the Smithfield Beach ramp on the PA side though I don't know if it's free.

My family go rafting and tubing there sometimes, don't own a ski yet but sometimes we see jet boats and skis in the Gap. I've got a trolling motor setup on a cheap Intes inflatable raft. I set the shat on the shallowest setting possible, haven't dragged on the bottom yet but we usually go after a good rain.

I am in he market for a beginner ski, like a cheap mid 90's Waveventure. I started searching on craigslist and posted in the Yamaha general discussion section.

If you got questions about the DWG I'll try to answer them. I live like 5 minutes from there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dfever View Post
    There are about 3 free ramps on the Jersey side of the DWG National Park.

Wow good to know! Now I feel dumb for paying $25 to launch

Wait, I don't actually know the exact rules for pwc's or jet boats at the park. I've been searching DWG's site,

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/motorboating.htm

twokexlv6coupe, I'm not sure where on the Delaware you were at, but maybe better off paying the $25?

+1
    There is a small hidden reservoir in Sullivan County NY near Port Jervis (where NY NJ and PA come together) that's a blast to ride. It's called Swinging Bridge Reservoir. It's only 9 miles long and about a half mile wide at its widest, but is a hidden gem for PWC. It only gets choppy on busy weekends and there is a free launch on the east side about 3 miles up from the south.

Thread Information