Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Duh! moment

+1

Duh! moment

Last ride out my SLXH was a bit hard to start .... and PUFF!!!!!!!! there's smoke shooting out in the PTO carb !!? Oh oh reed problem!!?
    Got home, took the reed out for inspection and did find the mid petals stay a tad open. Man, I'm not real impressed with these Vforce plastic reed cases at all. Anyway, got the reed adjusted, put everything back together and the ski won't stay running!!? What the [email protected]#$%! ... I didn't do anything to the carb ... now what!!?
    Took screws off the carb again and just when I'm about to pull it off, I noticed the fuel IN line look a bit funny ... The Fuel selector was OFF

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by loonatik View Post
    ......I noticed the fuel IN line look a bit funny ... The Fuel selector was OFF
    I've done that one plenty of times. Also......crank....crank....crank....prime.....cra nk....prime.......UUUGGGHHH why won't this thing start. Uhhhh, hey knucklehead, it sorta takes a lanyard in place for the engine to produce spark

When we first owned the ski we did that to the point of draining the battery

Live an learn I guess.

KJ

+1
    This thread is 5 yrs old. Figure I would've had enough experience to figure what's wrong with my skis. Somehow these DUH! moment still haunts me
    After a short 2 mile ride from launch, my ski won't start. Just dead silence when Start button is pressed. Once in awhile there's a solenoid slick sound and that was it. For sure it's starter problem right?

Polarisitis kicked in as soon as I got home. Got exhaust out, starter out and it looks fine, tested fine
    Checked solenoid and it too was fine
    Just to be safe, I replaced both starter and solenoid with spares I have on hand. Got everything back in, stroke rubbed hand, crossed fingers pressed Start and nothing!
    Checked battery it says 12.9, makes sense because it just came off battery tender and it cranks fine when before we left and at boat ramp.

Well, there went ohms checking through entire e-box and switches and all checked good!!!? Alright, beer time! Got to get me some brain fuel
    ... Just 3 weeks ago the car won't start because battery didn't have the juice .. could this be it? ... and sure enough. Even battery still checked 12.9 but as soon as a load is put on, it drops to 6.x

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps someone should make a sticker for under the seat...

What is the battery voltage while cranking?

Glad you are back on the water

+1
    We all do stuff like that man ,I have rode my skis every day at lunch in the summer on Friday I back the pro down the ramp and normally I clip my rope to the bow and to the rear of the trailer back down the ramp and it floats off I drive out a bit so I can disconnect it and tie it off and it wouldn't come off the trailer I try backing in farther after the exhaust goes under water and the trailer is floating I realize the rear rachet strap is still on lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Or better yet. I'm thinking of rigging up a multi-meter so battery can be checked on the fly here

+1

Or better yet. I'm thinking of rigging up a multi-meter so battery can be checked on the fly here
    There is a volt meter in the dash display. Once you have it calibrated, you can often gauge the battery strength from that.
    Last edited by K447; 09-03-2016 at 11:40 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I had the classic "click" in the elec box, but no crank.

Came to find out the starter bolts had backed out and the starter didn't have a solid ground. That was an easy fix.....

We assume the worst right away, but it's often something really simple.

+1
    There is a volt meter in the dash display.
    My bad. Forgot to mention I don't have working MFD on this ski anymore. I'm reluctant to replace it because they're all used and don't think Florida weather will be gentle on them.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    So true LOL.
    I guessed what really got me is pressing Start button and there's this eerie dead silence, just minutes before that the battery showed no sign of degrading.

In light of the story, my ski now has been thoroughly inspected

+1

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    So true LOL.
    ... pressing Start button and there's this eerie dead silence, just minutes before that the battery showed no sign of degrading.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I saw a battery that seemed to be working just fine die out on a ride last summer without warning. He shut off his ski for just a minute and when he went to push start, nothing........instant death...... A good quality battery with proper maintenance is always a good safeguard against sudden failure
    That was the only non-Deka battery I owned, it came in another ski I bought used and the battery seemed good.

Worked fine for many weeks of riding. Just one too many hard bounces in rough water and the battery failed internally. Engine kept running due to the charging system still providing electrical power, but once shut down there simply was no battery power. It was completely dead. This was after maybe 30 minutes or so of riding, with a few engine stops along the way.

No sign of trouble until that battery failed outright. In the middle of a river, floating with a current into the next country.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2305465

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information