Please help! I must be missing something.

I'm at my rope's end trying to fix my 94 SL650. My problem started about 3 years ago, 1 year after I purchase it. Bringing it out of winter hybernation I syphoned the gas out of the tank using the little jiggy syphone hose but by using the jiggy syphone I must have sterred up alot of crap on the bottom and the filter must have broken off and fell to the bottom of the tank unbeknownst to me. My first time out afterwards resulted in the ski would start and idle ok but would bogg down and stall when I would try to excellerate. I'm sure the Internal filter screen in the carbs were compltely blocked so I pulled the carbs and completely rebuilt them, replaced the single line pump with a triple line. I mounted the new pump as low as possible on the haul support brace just behind the engine mount. I replaced all the fuel lines along with a new fuel valve and also a the gas cap. I replaced the oil injector pump with a block off plate and I now use premix fuel 40:1 ratio. The end results were no better. It will run ok for about 5 minutes then at wide open throttle it will just die. It will always immeditely start right back up. Go for about 50 yards and then the same thing. I have rebuilt the carbs at least two more times using new rebuilt kits each time. At one point it ran for a good hour with no problem, we sat and had lunch, went back out and then it started acting up again. This last attempt at fixing it, I have tryed using an electric fuel pump rated for 3 or 4 cylinder cars. the results was no better. It would run ok for about 5 minutes and ten die but would always start again. Can anybody out there help me? What should I try next? Could it be a electrical problem? Could something be getting wet? Please help I'm about to punt and junk it. Any advice will be gratly appreciated.

I have known that on several skis that the stator will do the same thing, runs and then shuts down like you hit the kill switch, then starts back up again only to do the same thing.

I just went through this with my 2004 Freedom 700. Similar symptoms - turned out to be the stator.

You can see here the thread discussing the issues I had tracking it down - I was mistakenly looking for an overheating issue - but turned out to be the stator was failing when it was getting hot/warmed up.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...il-overheating

K447 has some links on his page for ohming out the stator.

Thanks for everyones input. I will try to remove the stator and replace it. Unfortunately I am not near water to test my efforts right away so it will be a while before I can post my the results. Thanks again.

Is the magneto Assembly the same as the stator?

+1
    Stator is part #1 in the magneto assembly.

I do have one (used). PM if you're interested.

Thread Information