Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 SLH running problem Need Help

Thanks ahead of time. This forum is great and has helped tremendously in the past. Now I have a new issue. I have a 1999 SLH it was flipped and filled with water (not me). The stator went bad along with the gauges. Had boat mechanic replace stator with the upgrade kit. Ski starting and idled great out of water but ran like shit in water. Mechanic gave up and now I have it. This is what I did: new fuel lines, cleaned out separator, replaced plugs, oh by the way the a different boat mechanic rebuilt carbs after finding out the ski wouldn't run in the water. I ran the ski myself and it bogs down a bit and then runs I say approximate 1/2 to 2/3 the top RPMs traveling about 30 to 35 mph. I played with the choke and didn't get any response other then it shuts off. Now I replaced the carbs with a set I had laying around for a year or two (came off a running ski). I got the same performance maybe a little better then the rebuilt carbs. The ski idles great in and out of water. Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Just replaced 3rd set of carbs from a running ski, same model and year. Got the same results. It most be the timing. I guess the wizard boat mechanic who installed the upgrade kit didn't bother to time the ski.

+1
    Was there water in the engine ?
    I'd check crank index. When #1 is at it's highest point, #2 should be at it's lowest point.

Any chance it could be the timing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris 700cc View Post
    Any chance it could be the timing?
    Always a possibility. WHENEVER the ignition system is updated/replaced, the running timing must be verified.

Check crank index as well like Casey stated whenever that much water has entered the engine.

Also, when going through your fuel system, did you pay close attention to the fuel pump? Water in the engine can lead to water in the pulse line doing damage to the pumps ability to pump.

No water entered the engine. Why the stator went bad i don"t know. The fuel pump is part of the carbs, which I tried three seperate carbs one rebuild, one from a perfectly running ski and the other just extra that came off a running ski. Just checked the timing at 3000psi it looks to be a increment or two off. Could this be the problem. I will check the index as soon as I get some gauges. Any idea, do i need one or two gauges and where can I pick some up.

Thanks

Anyone know how many degree each mark represent on the 700 engine. I'm being told 2 degrees per mark. If that is the case the 700cc engine should be at the 9th mark from 0 to be at the 18 degrees of time from TDC.

+1
    I have a 1999 SLH it was flipped and filled with water (not me).
    No water entered the engine. Thanks
    Welp, I'm officially confused.

How did you FILL the ski with water but not get any in the motor?

Well, as I understand it the ski was flipped when it was righted and towed to shore whatever water that was in the hull was pumped out. At that point the engine would not start, so the engine never ran from that point. No spark and months later the stator was upgraded. I just assume no water in engine because had there been water and it wasn't started for so long (salt water) the engine would have been locked up.

I messed with the timing some. Found TDC using screw driver (trying to find a dial indicator) adjusted 18 degree from there. the ski ran so much better, still not reaching its top speed but didn't bog out. Got it up to 46 mph should run around 60. I believe I'm on the right track just need to get the exact TDC.

Ha to deal with Irene after math these last couple of days. Sure could use some suggestions on this. Just got the dial indicator and attempt to time it correctly tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information