+1

read plug and help with water around spark plugs

took the ski out for its last run of the season probably (going back to school friday) and it ran great. pulled a plug though and this looks peculiar to me

too lean? that is what all the plugs looked like. i was riding it quite hard, i guess it could have just been running hot, but i got no warning light or anything. might be able to check piston wash (youll hear about it in the next question)

compression looks good. all very close to 110 (within 3 psi for sure) with all 3 plugs out and WOT. seems low to me but im not tightening down my compression tester really tight, and ive never changed the o ring on it.

second question, im getting water around my spark plugs on the top of my head. the part of the plug above the threads, and above the washer is getting corrosion. i was flushing it out on the hose and saw what looked like bubbles coming from around there, very tiny amounts. when i did my rebuild, i used new yamaha gaskets, the one between the head and jugs and the one between the head and the top portion of the head, and i used a light coating of marine grease. its just a tiny amount though, its not filling up my hull. its like just enough to get the area around the plug wet and thats all.

what would be a good plan of attack there, pull the head, clean the surfaces really well, re marine grease it up, then torque back down and check piston wash while im in there?

thanks guys

+1
    Running very lean. I'm not familiar with the older 1200 head, but it doesn't look like you're getting water in the combustion chamber

+1
    Just retorque and see if it solves your leaking problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR1300 View Post
    Running very lean. I'm not familiar with the older 1200 head, but it doesn't look like you're getting water in the combustion chamber
    i thought it was lean. im not getting water in the combustion chamber, im getting it around where the spark plugs thread into the head.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Just retorque and see if it solves your leaking problem.
    that could be it. with all the old threadlocker on there (what i couldnt clean off) i guess it might be undertorqued by a few pounds.

any carb guys know how to figure out why im running lean? ive got osidebill fresh carbs with about 17 hours on them. any ideas?

+1
    i guess the best thing to do when i unwinterize it is pull the head and check the wash? that will for sure tell me if its lean or not right? then i can retorque the head down and try to stop that water leaking.

also, i sprayed wd40 on the pump and some of the bolt heads before putting it up, is that okay? some were starting to surface rust

the leaking could have been bad/cracked compression washer on the plug itself. were all 3 plugs ashen grey like that? i smoked a set of rings the other day and dropped my compression 15-20 lbs. each guess i got "lucky" that i didn't lean seize a piston and bend the crank. i should have just let the wife ride it WOT like she likes it!

+1
    well the compression is good. ive learned the importance of that, so that was the fist thing i checked. its all within probably 3psi or so. but yes all the plugs look like that. kinda odd to me, its got oside fresh carbs in it.

so the washer around the spark plug can let water up there? i dont see how? i thought this would be the gasket that goes on top of the head between the head and the top head plate, where the water runs through. but again, thats an oem yamaha gasket, with a light coating of marine grease on it and torqued to spec. only thing i can think of is that the old threadlocker on the bolt and in the bolt hole might have me undertorqued by a pound or two

+1
    I had that problem with my GPR, I believe you should always use a sealer on that gasket, it doesn't take much for the head cover to distort around that area and seep water. A little leak doesn't hurt much, does rust up that plug base though.

Thread Information