Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris SLH 700 Questions

Hello, new here. I just bought a 1999 Polaris SLH last week and I really dont know much about skis. The previous owner said it died in the water and didnt know why probably 4 yrs ago and it has set the entire time. However they did tell me that it would still turn over but just wouldnt run. I got it and cleaned the carbs,(waiting on the rebuild kit to come in). Took the top end apart and the pistons were rusted and would not move. I free'd them up and took them to get bored out and ordered a top end rebuild kit. I also replaced all the fuel lines, oil lines and drained the oil and gas.

My question is do the oil lines need to be primed before I try and restart it?

Also how can I tell if the ignition update kit has been completed?

Thanks for the info. I hope to have this thing running in the next couple weeks.

+1
    Yes, you should get oil into the lines or atleast dribble oil into carbs while running ,till oil is in the lines.

CDI part # will tell if it's updated.Search function will have #'s.

Update: heads and pistons are back in and now I'm just waiting on fedex to deliver my carb rebuild kits.

Ok so I'm guessing that the CDI is the black box that is mounted inside the black electrical box. The hand written number on it is 4010380. Is this the new or old style?

Do I have to update the ignition kit?
    What does the update do for the ski?
    If I have to where can I find one that is cheap?

I'm not wanting to spend a crap load of money on this ski since I have no clue what is wrong with it.

+1
    The update uses a more depedable CDI.Your 0380 is a newer CDI,you should be fine.
    You can check part #'s here;
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Advanced...ncedSearch.asp

So I rebuilt the carbs and installed everything including a new battery. I bled the oil line as well. Tried starting it and it turned over but didnt start. I didnt try very long, only a few times. I did notice that the electronic display on the handle bars did not come on. Im gonna take it to the lake tomorrow and see if it will start in the water. Could the display not working make it not start?

I might be wrong but wouldn't you want to run some pre mixed gas for the first little while?? again like i said i might be wrong

I took it down to the lake and got it started. Ran kinda crappy but gonna try and adjust the carbs. Also Im probably gonna premix the gas at first also just in case. I did have a leak on one of the heads. The oring was not seated right. The MFD didnt work because it was not plugged in. it is a 12 pin. I plugged it up and it did not work. I also tried using the bilge but didnt hear anything. The trim does work though. Now i gotta get another oring and then mix the gas and try again.

+1
    If the MFD doesn't work leave it unhooked as bad MFD's seem to have a good chance of making a ski run like crap.

Anyone know the oil ratio for premixing the first tank.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    If the MFD doesn't work leave it unhooked as bad MFD's seem to have a good chance of making a ski run like crap.
    Not sure that is true. The display not working could be the fuse in the black box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information