Need help with Hurricane

Hi everybody,
    I have a 1997 Hurricane that is driving me insane. I seem to have something wrong with my charging system. I have an updated ignition, it is not brand new but i tested the stator and it ohmed out perfectly. Ive put a brand new dry cell battery in it, and a brand new voltage regulator. To my knowledge that is all there is to the charging system. My voltage will rise slightly while running but will barely get to 13 volts, if i go out for a ride the ski will go good for a while then just die out and not start again until its jumped or recharged. Anybody have any ideas because i am lost. Also to confirm since the updated ignition was installed by a previous owner, inside my box i have a tan wire unpluged which appears to go to the exaust manifold then to my non existant hood cowl. In addition i have a gray wire unpluged and of course the small ground out of the box not grounded.
    Thanks in advance

+1
    I'm not an electrical guy, don't have answers to your wiring, I'm sure someone will chime in. In the mean while read up on this link for the battery and charging:
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....ttery-charging

+1
    With a good battery-even if it's not charging-should run for a couple hours.

Charge batt-out of PWC-let it sit overnight, what is the voltage ?

Yes,tan wire will be for overheat sensor, also runs up to the MFD so it can display "overheat". The grey CDI wire will be to limit RPM when overheating.
    Small black wire at batt is not used with "updated' stator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CantTOUCHanIROC View Post
    Hi everybody,
    1997 Hurricane ......I have an updated ignition, it is not brand new but i tested the stator and it ohmed out perfectly.....voltage will rise slightly while running but will barely get to 13 volts, if i go out for a ride the ski will go good for a while then just die out and not start again until its jumped or recharged.
    I'm not up on the domestics, but have you confirmed ALL update components are installed? I believe the Stator AND CDI had to both be updated part# to work properly. I"m not sure that explains your problem, but since the work was done by someone else I think I'd confirm for myself the correct parts are in there before I went much further.

KJ

My battery is good, i checked the voltage and cold cranking amps before i went out. Im 90 percent sure all the components are updated but i will check again. I pulled the stator out tonight to check and see if wires had rubbed against the flywheel and it was good. I can sometimes get an hour ride time out of a fully charged battery, then it dies. After getting towed to shore i can jump it and with its required 10.6 cranking voltage it will start first click of the button. Anyone ever experience anything like this

+1
    What are the volts and cranking amps ?

Does the batt have an AHR rating or reserve capacity ? In my opinion, 1 hour does not sound like a fully charged-good-dry cell battery.

If it will go to 13volt running, it sounds like the charging system is TRYING to charge the batt. (it's above static batt v )
    But something is keeping it down, these charging systems only charge at 5-10 amps-soo a bad cell in the batt will kill stator output.

It might die for some other reason,but if it doesn't have the 10.6 to restart,you absolutely need to fix that first.

Thread Information