Need some input, pretty much almost sunk my Ultra 150 ski

Was out on my Ultra 150 earlier this evening out in the ocean having a blast and I hit a wave the wrong way and dunked the whole front of the ski very deep and flipped it over. I flipped it back and there was so much water in it that it wouldn't start and it almost sunk! I managed to get a rope connected to it and we towed it back to the beach flipped it over and got all the water out and my buddy and I towed it back to the dock because it obviously wouldn't start.

It's at home now safe & sound, I took the plugs out, replaced the battery and cranked it and ALOT of water came out of the cylinders. I put sprayed some WD40 inside each of the cylinders and cranked some more for a good 5-10 minutes.

I put the plugs back in it cranks fine but it wont fire, I'm still thinking the cylinders are still wet. I'm planning on blowing some compressed air in there to dry it out and then put the plugs back in and hope it fires up. Once it fires up I'm praying it should clear out its just getting it to fire up seems to be the hard part now. THERE WAS ALOT OF WATER.

Any input is greatly appreciated. TIA

Well seeing this is "salt water" event it does raise the bar a bit as to doing this correctly and promptly. The plugs are probably fouled. Do you have some new plugs? I think it is important to get it running with the garden house tonite if you can . . .for 10 minutes at least. You want to burn off / process out as much of the salt water as you can. If you can't get it running I would take the head off and dump alot of two stroke oil into the cylinders (some of the oil will find its way to the crank which is good). If you cant take the head off, dump the oil into the spark plug holes. You don't want rust to start forming on any internal engine parts or bearings. If you have to oil it up tonite, you can always take it to a dealer tomorrow who has the know how / expertise to get it running again.

this doesn't have to be done quite as quickly but do so within 24 hours . . . spray down the insides of those CV Carbs; you dont want any rust / corrosion in there either. WD40 is perfect for this. good luck.

btw, you did the right thing by NOT cranking over the engine with water in it and plugs installed . . . that could have hydro locked the rods

I couldn't get it started last night, I'm going to mess with it today. Any input is appreciated. It cranks just fine but won't start. I picked up new plugs for it too. There is spark. Where can I spray some starting fluid maybe I should try that?

I got it started!! Only thing is it idles only when the choke it fully on, when I turn the choke off it dies. Still working on it...Any ideas??

SHE RUNS! I have the water connected to it and its idling right now perfectly. I'm going to let it run for a while like this and when the weather clears up I'll go test it out on the water.

I took it for a quick run by the dock it seems to be breaking up under load, any suggestions? I'm going to swap the plugs and retry the water test again. When it's out of the water it runs just fine.

Im learning so much from this site..I never pictured or anticipating something like this happening..till i just read this thread..I will be checking back to see how your situation pans out

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jay stone View Post
    Im learning so much from this site..I never pictured or anticipating something like this happening..till i just read this thread..I will be checking back to see how your situation pans out

good luck
    Thanks!, Any ideas guys?

Thread Information