Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

motor alighnment ..crap

something to think about ..i had to swapp hulls..set the engine in ..on the mounts..put the alignment tool in straightened it out..bolted it down ..

i built my turbo set up in the other hull..when putting it in the new hull the exhaust was really tight and didnt want to line up right.....when i went to put the driveshaft in it wouldnt go in all the way ..or so i thought it was a new ont for the pump extension that was the first though it was to long.but no one else had issues..and ted knows what he is doing.....upon a closer inspection ..the engine mounts were all slid all the way back...moving the motor 3/8 to the rear making the driveshaft appear to bea little long..

so i need to un bolt it move it forward..and realign.. never considered front to rear.. the alignment tool doesnt account for that.. so now that i have all the brackets ect made..and put on the new hull how many of them am i going to have to adjust... crap..

asphalt, dirt, and water are my playgrounds. ViperRy's Avatar
    I hate those moments when you realize how many parts just got effected when you did not account for a certain variable.

Live and learn, its the way when building cars, bikes, skis, ect. and especially when you custom fab things. Lots of "god dammit" moments.

+1
    Having a little movement (fore/aft) of the prop shaft is VERY important......The thrust bearing in the motor will fail and u can not save the engine block on the re-build. You can heat and spin that bearing in as little as 1 tank or less of fuel. I did this several years ago, and have seen it 4 times since.

It's always the pump bearing or shaft pre-load that causes this. I think it was back in 07 I posted a thread "How common is thrust bearing failure".....and this is the main cause.

good news is i didnt run it ...so hopefully it didint cause any issues..awaiting jason to get back fro miami picking up a new turbo ..so i can get the alignment tool again and ill move it..really not a big issue just gotta remove a bunch of stuff to get it moved..

just went out and lossend the mounts it slid right forward...

custom is fun right????

got major issues with the porsch gt1 replica i am building spent all day getting the front suspension sub frame squared up and at the correct height ....it is 996 supension to a 993 tub..the track is to narrow..buy 20 centimeters..and has 6 degress of camber..and no shock travel where it is supposed to sit in the car...customer is comming up tomarrow..so i may have some ski time in the morning

this is what am working on in the shop so it has been a headach day..try again tomarrow...

rear was easy it will get catilever shocks mounted horizontal across the top

front is fubar..been dong this for 15 years not sure how i am going to make this work...

7 degress if camber isnt to much??is it..LOL

this is a chassis i built for a cobra kit car for backdraft.fresh from the powder coater..look great

pretty cool...wish I had time and money or just the knowledge in those areas to work on projects like yours

not mine it is a customers..but cool prodject never the less.. i get all the stuff that isnt supposed to work ...and am supposed to wave the magic wand and make it happen..

+1
    You guys are bad azz....

+1
    Breon simple on the front end just toe and go it tell him the inner tire wear is cool and will help it turn better

+1
    The gt1 needs it's own thread.

Got any photos of the cobra with it's clothes on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information