Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    JohnCiccarelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bay Tree Lakes, NC
    Posts
    292

    2008 GTI SE 155 Low Top Speed.

    I just bought a 2008 GTI and it is not nearly as fast as my 2009. The 2008 has 277 hours and my 2009 has only 9. The max RPMS on both are about 7400. but the 2008 only registers 54 and the 2009 registers 62 on the speedometer. I have not tested with a GPS, but the 2008 does not seem as fast. I have been told that the wear ring does not have a significant effect on top speed. Am I missing something or is the Impeller all that is left. It runs smooth and is quick out of the hole.

    Any ideas?


  2. #2
    Replace the wear ring and check prop diameter while it's out..... with those hours I bet you will find the plastic wear ring has a nice grove in it. My 2009 took in a stick FAR from the dock on a day when NO ONE was on the lake so I nursed it in, after I got to dock and dislodged the stick I could see where it made a grove around the ring and it did loose about 4-5MPH top end and slight cavitation on take off - just cruising you could not tell anything was wrong. The prop was fine and these pumps are not bad at all to work on.
    Last edited by Unit44; 08-24-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo

  3. #3
    JohnCiccarelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bay Tree Lakes, NC
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit44 View Post
    Replace the wear ring and check prop diameter while it's out..... with those hours I bet you will find the plastic wear ring has a nice grove in it. My 2009 took in a stick FAR from the dock on a day when NO ONE was on the lake so I nursed it in, after I got to dock and dislodged the stick I could see where it made a grove around the ring and it did loose about 4-5MPH top end and slight cavitation on take off - just cruising you could not tell anything was wrong. The prop was fine and these pumps are not bad at all to work on.
    Thanks, I want to test the speed with a GPS. I really just got it home and I hope to look at it tomorrow.

  4. #4
    hussein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur or Langkawi
    Posts
    43
    The wearing is definitely something which needs to be looked at. Another area would be the hull condition itself. With that age and the number of hours on it, there would be some serious scratches on it, which will slow it down significantly. I have 4 units of Gti 155 SE's which have all surprassed 400 hours. NOne of them can reach 60mph anymore, even with a new wearing and carbon ring. But i've not tried changing to a new impeller.

  5. #5
    JohnCiccarelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bay Tree Lakes, NC
    Posts
    292
    I just tried both Skis with the GPS. The 2008 ran 53 with full tank of gas and the 2009 ran 56 with 1/3 tank of gas. I guess the difference is less then I thought. I am still a little confused. I thought that they should run over 60. The Lake was also Glass.

  6. #6
    That's not bad at all, my 2009 will GPS 57mph with me on it on glass and 59mph bouncing off of 60mph with my 125lb wife on it and I have a Solas impeller on it (1/2 tank). The stock impeller was about 2mph slower, and man all I have is good stuff to say about these skis!! I have a Ultra 260 and I like the GTI better for just playing around or exploring - its nimble, EASY on fuel and so much fun to ride. The only thing I don't like about it is the DRY ride - man on a hot summer day it is hard to get wet on so that's when I take out the Kawasaki which will drench you in a second or just do a figure 8 at low speed and the front end will plow underwater and soak ya. I wish there was a ski that had the hull of the Ultra with the easy maintenance, low fuel consumption and fun factor of the GTI 155 - now that would be my perfect ski! Anybody know of such a beast?

  7. #7
    JohnCiccarelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bay Tree Lakes, NC
    Posts
    292
    I added 5 gallons of gas to the 2009 ski and they are now within 2 MPH of each other.

    How fast should these skis run? My 2009 only has 9 hours on it and is like new. Not a scratch on the top or bottom.

  8. #8
    JohnCiccarelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bay Tree Lakes, NC
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit44 View Post
    That's not bad at all, my 2009 will GPS 57mph with me on it on glass and 59mph bouncing off of 60mph with my 125lb wife on it and I have a Solas impeller on it (1/2 tank). The stock impeller was about 2mph slower, and man all I have is good stuff to say about these skis!! I have a Ultra 260 and I like the GTI better for just playing around or exploring - its nimble, EASY on fuel and so much fun to ride. The only thing I don't like about it is the DRY ride - man on a hot summer day it is hard to get wet on so that's when I take out the Kawasaki which will drench you in a second or just do a figure 8 at low speed and the front end will plow underwater and soak ya. I wish there was a ski that had the hull of the Ultra with the easy maintenance, low fuel consumption and fun factor of the GTI 155 - now that would be my perfect ski! Anybody know of such a beast?
    What Solus impeller did you use? I may change mine at the end of the season.

  9. #9
    Well when my 2009 was new it would run 56mph with my fat ass on it (275lbs) on glass and never made much difference how much fuel was in it then, seems like with the new Solas impeller and wear ring the lower the fuel the faster it goes, your skis are not too far off the mark though, if it is really hot and high humidity when you are testing your speeds will be down a bit.

  10. #10
    SR-CD-11/19 was the part number on it, came with everything needed but wear ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCiccarelli View Post
    What Solus impeller did you use? I may change mine at the end of the season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2008 gti se 155 impeller and wear ring questions
    By Porkchop_ina_Can in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 01:55 PM
  2. Seadoo GTI se 155 Top Speed and mods
    By canon714 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 04:26 PM
  3. 2008 GTI SE 155 P0326 Check Engine Code - HELP!!
    By aaronk227 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 02:20 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 08:23 AM
  5. Speeds GTI-SE 155 ?
    By Sammy-swed in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •