Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mfd display not working

Hey guys this site has been extremely helpful to me since i picked up my matching skis last week. Most of the questions I had were answered quickly with a quick search.

My question is I have a mfd that is displaying numbers but only the mph part and the tank levels work none of the other features work that i can see besides the clock.

The history of this ski is unknown to me other than when i got it, it had the infamous melted ground stator wire. Luckily it left about 6 to 8 good inches of wire so i was able to splice it and reconnect the battery and it fired right off.

Is my issue the 1/4 amp fuse that you've talked about or do i have other issues in the cdi box or just a bad mfd.

p.s the other ski runs but only will hit 4600 rpm at wot. guessing it just needs a good carb cleaning?
    $600 for the two skis and trailer. Pretty much couldn't pass that deal up.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Helps alot when you list what ski you have......

As for the MFD, try the MFD reset and if that doesn't help, try the do it yourself MFD repair listed in the tech section.

Yeah that would help to list them sorry. They are 95 slt 750 polaris.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    There's been a few guys that have successfully done the round MFD's like yours. I'd look them up if the reset procedure doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by d.north6 View Post
    Yeah that would help to list them sorry. They are 95 slt 750 polaris.
    You and I are in the same boat(s), just acquired 2x 95 slt 750s.

The round and oval MFD's are repairable in most cases. The main complaint is dim digits or some missing portions of the display. This is caused by poor connections between the circuit board and the LC display.
    The MFD must be cut open to complete the repair. (cleaning the contacts). Check out the following tread for info on cutting open the dispay with photos. Any questions, let us know.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...40#post1564440

okay so i tried the reset to the mfd and still have the same issues the {speedo, volts, distance, tank levels, clock work} the rpm seems to be the only one that doesn't work and the display goes to sleep. Re did the ground in the cdi box and fuse is okay. can the little black box inside the cdi box that has the two wires coming out of it {one being a yellow wire} be bad, not sure what the box is maybe a regulator?

The yellow wire comes from the electric stator and goes to the MFD (RPM) and to the voltage regulator.
    I would suggest that you place a volt meter directly on the battery to make sure the charging circuit is working. With engine running voltage should be aprox 14.5 volts. If you see just the battery voltage (12Volts) then the voltage regulator is probably at fault and that is why you see no rpm on the MFD since the RPM and regulator voltage is taken from the electric stator. I guess the stator could be bad but my bet is the voltage regulator is at fault or a poor connection from the stator to the regulator or MFD. Again, checking the charging voltage at the battery should be your first check.
    Hope this helps.

Okay tried that this evening and got a reading of 12.5 volts on the meter so i checked the mfd and it said the volts were 13.9. so either the voltage reg is bad or the stater is, but not sure why the mfd would read 13.9. If I open the cdi box and measure the volts on the terminal where the reg and the stater plug in they should be the same correct? The battery has maintained the 12 volts since it was charged up so something has to be outputting some voltage. When the ground wire to the stater melted can it ruin the stater or the voltage reg. Thanks for the help on this issue.

Don't know at this point if your volt meter or the MFD is inacurate due to the difference in readings. What voltage did the MFD display when the engine was not running? If, in fact, the 12.5 volt battery reading you obtained was correct then the charging circuit is not working. Also, another check would be to measure the voltage on the yellow wire with the engine NOT running. That voltage should be the battery voltage.
    As far as the stator ground wire melting, I'm not that familiar with that. I have seen other posts where this has occured. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in and answer that question for you. Keep us updated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information