+1

MFD short circuit

Hi, I have a 96 Polaris sl780. On the last trip it get over turn and the MFD got a little water inside. Right after the accident I notice that the mode key is not working, so when I went home I open it to clean up the water and notice that there is some burnt on the chip right under the button's ribbon connection. I clean it up and put everything back. Everything seem to be working fine except that the engine oil level did not show any oil and it keep blinking red and "OIL" on the screen. Is there and way to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by birdgod View Post
    Hi, I have a 96 Polaris sl780. On the last trip it get over turn and the MFD got a little water inside. Right after the accident I notice that the mode key is not working, so when I went home I open it to clean up the water and notice that there is some burnt on the chip right under the button's ribbon connection. I clean it up and put everything back. Everything seem to be working fine except that the engine oil level did not show any oil and it keep blinking red and "OIL" on the screen. Is there and way to fix this?
    Since your ski overturned I would suspect that the oil level sensor float in the oil tank could be stuck. Check that first. Taping on the top of the oil level assy may free the float also make sure you have a good connection at the MFD harness connector. If that doesn't work, let us know and we can troubleshoot further.

+1
    nope I have cover it to premix and the level sensor is tie down with a zip lock... I check it and it is still in the same position.

If the level sensor is tied down then that is probabley why your oil display is reading empty. (the sensor is at the bottom of the tank.) You mentioned that float is tied down. What is in the oil tank now, oil, gas, or is it empty?
    If premix is permanant, then you need to fool the gauge so that it does not show empty. In the electrical box remove the blue and black wire (from the oil tank sensor) and place a resisitor across the terminals that the blue and black wires were attached to. The resisitor value can be anyware from 33 to 50 ohms.
    This will give you a permanant full oil display on the MFD and eliminate the low oil alarm display.

Hope this helps.

+1
    The level float is tie to the top to fool the gauge when I convert to primix. It have been working since until the overturn happened.

I thought about that after I left my last message. If you tied it down naturally it would be at the top. Sorry about that. Next step would be to check the resistance of oil sender output with a ohm meter (multimeter). It should be 240 ohms when empty and 33 ohms when full. You should see aprox 33 to 50 ohms if the sender is working properly. I would then check the connection in the electrical box. Did water get into the Elec Box? Again the wire colors should be blue and black. Black going to ground. If you do not see 33 to 50 ohms then the sender is at fault. Remove the oil sender wires in the electric box and place a 33 to 50 ohm (for full scale deflection on the MFD). This should work if the wiring to the MFD is ok and if the MFD itself is ok.

+1
    problem fix, found a leg broken from the IC chip, solder it back and working perfect now. thanks

Thread Information