Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supercharger shot after 28 hours on a 2008 RXT 255

Bought two 2008 RXT 255's new last summer. Broke them in according to instructions. This summer after 28 hours total operation one quit supercharging. Dealer says supercharger is shot to the point it can't be rebuilt. He says new one installed is $1100. Dealer says he just changes the oil and filter when he puts in the new supercharger and the debris is no problem.
    Three questions;
    1. Is this the way it goes with these superchargers? 28 hours!
    2. Is this price right?
    3. What about the debris in the engine from the supercharger wearout?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanddee View Post
    Bought two 2008 RXT 255's new last summer. Broke them in according to instructions. This summer after 28 hours total operation one quit supercharging. Dealer says supercharger is shot to the point it can't be rebuilt. He says new one installed is $1100. Dealer says he just changes the oil and filter when he puts in the new supercharger and the debris is no problem.
    Three questions;
    2. Is this price right?
    1. Not usually
    2. About right, but i would buy an aftermarket charger
    3. How did the supercharger fail? Did he say?

Also, if you bought them last year....are they under warranty?

+1
    Three questions;
    2. Is this price right?
    For one I'd hope it was under warranty! They can fail, but aren't as common on stock chargers. You can buy a brand new x charger here in the store for 749... so 1100 is pretty pricey! And they have to tear down that motor if parts of the bearing or any other parts went in motor. Don't be satisfied with just changing oil. It will destroy that motor if not sooner definatly later.

+1
    Three questions;
    2. Is this price right?
    No,No and NO

Find out what happened to your SC. If the washers let go you at least need to pull the front oil pump and get out as much debris as possible. Pulling the rear pump from the PTO is not a bad idea either to check for debris there.

A new SC is around 650 I believe so Im not sure where the 1100 is coming from.

You can do all of this yourself if you just read up and listen to what the members tell you here bro.

+1
    What was the actual failure? If there is debris you really should pull the engine, split the case and flush everything. The screens in the oil pumps will only filter out the larger particles. The smaller debris will take out the pumps and other vital components in time.

I rebuilt 2 engines this summer because the dealer simply installed new washers after the ceramic ones failed. They never flushed the debris. If they won't replace the supercharger under warranty I doubt they will cover the engine when it blows. You may want to find a different dealership, they are just taking a massive shortcut and charging you too much. A brand new X charger from the online store is $750 and takes maybe an hour to change yourself for a first timer.

Thanks for the info. I will look in to warranty and pull the oil pumps when I get it back. I now have serious concern about the other one that has 34 hours on it.

hey a new x charger as mentioned is only about 650 but installed is a different story. you will want to find out why your charger came apart. some people get lucky and others dont with how long a charger lasts. if you say they are a year old i would be looking into warranty before you start touching things.

+1
    Thanks for the info. I will look in to warranty and pull the oil pumps when I get it back. I now have serious concern about the other one that has 34 hours on it.
    Don't touch ANYTHING until you find out about the warranty. Don't give them any excuse to void your warranty if there still is one.

+1
    Pull the charger, and have the clutch slip checked, and shim if necessary.

Dealer says he just changes the oil and filter when he puts in the new supercharger and the debris is no problem.

of course the dealer would say that so they dont have to remove the front and rear oil pump. I would make them change all those parts out if its still under warranty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information